[Chapter Eleven]

It was a warm summer morning in the valley of Rivendell. The young woman had done another night patrol over the valley. The warg pack that had chased them on the road had vanished, she couldn't find them anywhere, which bothered her a little. She walked up the the path that lead up to one of the many waterfalls of Rivendell, unaware that she was being followed. She walked to the edge of the cliff above the waterfall about to jump when the sound of a velvety voice stopped her. " You're not seriously thinking of jumping are you?" Thorin asked her, coming out of the bushes.

" Why not?" She said, smirking at him. The dwarf came up to the very edge beside her and peered over it, the mist was covering about halfway down so you couldn't see where the water was.

" You wouldn't survive. The rocks below would kill you. Theirs no way to avoid them." Thorin explained, trying to convince her.

" I bet you ten coins, you'll find me swimming when you get to the bottom of the trail." She challenged. Thorin narrowed his eyes. He hadn't been so fond of this woman since he met her at the hobbit's home and yet something about her was causing him to be drawn to her.

" I am not going to bet your life for coins." Thorin pressed, as if he suddenly carried what happened to her and stepped away from the edge.

" Your not betting my life. I am. I'm doing it either way though." She declared with a grin on her face, clearly not worried about the possible dangers below.

" Alyndra I don't think this is a good idea." Thorin stated, in a concern as he thought this young woman was more insane than he realized.

" See you at the bottom." She joked and waved at him and jumped off the edge. Thorin stepped over to the edge, only to catch her disappearing into the mist below. He had to look again, when he thought he saw the shadow of wings in the mist. He heard a splash and took off down the trail that led to the bottom of the waterfall. He came to halt, his heart was racing, fearing the worst had happened to her when he let out a sigh to see her doing as she said she would when he came down. " You owe me ten coins." She teased with a grin.

"I never agreed to the bet." Thorin growled at her. " Now please get out of the water." He ordered, looking around nervously.

" Why? scared I might drown now." slightly annoyed with his sudden over worrying behavior, that he only seem to show when it was just the two of them alone.

" No, its just. These are elf lands and elves can't be trusted." Thorin hissed as he looked around the area, think they were being watched.

" Why do you hate elves so much?" She question, coming out of the water.

" Because they turned their backs on us, when we needed help." Thorin explained and he began to walk down another path and the woman decided to follow him. They both walked in silence most of the way. Alyndra could feel the tension around the dwarf. Something was on his mind and she wondered what it was.

The woman's suddenly heard the sound of branches snapping and looking to the side, still walking, not paying attention to where she was placing her feet when her boot got caught in a root sticking out of the ground and she shrieked, Thorin turned around to catch her just in time but the two of them went rolling down the side of the hill, letting yells as they tried to stop themselves. Alyndra was the first to come to a stop, landing on her back. Thorin landed right on top of the woman and she let out a rough grunt.