Chapter 18 - Halo

Start from the beginning

"For?"

"Halo,"

"What are you waiting? Say we will be there!"

I message Evan back and he replies that he will come outside to give us the tickets.

"What should I wear?" Taylor fans his hands hysterically and makes me laugh hard.

"Let's get something to eat first. Can I crash at your place? It is closer to the venue than mine,"

"Only if you promise to stay away from my junk," he points at his crotch.

I snort at his words. I missed this. I missed us.

After a quick dinner at a fast food, we head to the venue of the gaming championship. The place is packed with people. I hope that the hour and a half we had to drive is worth it.

I message Evan that we are outside and he responds that he will be with us soon. I gaze at the people in line and realize that most guys are staring my way.

"Not many girls here today. Literally a sausage party," Taylor says.

"They are staring," I say, turning my back to the bunch of guys that are starting to shout inappropriate things.

"Of course, you are the prettiest thing around here,"

I look down at my phone to cover my embarrassment. I have a message from Lisa. It reads: A blind date. Nothing to brag.

Evan walks outside and hands us tickets and some backstage access cards. I hear a rumble of complaints coming from the people in the line.

"Calm the fuck down. They work for me," Evan says to them and the people get quiet again. "They are freaking wired and don't want to imagine how they will turn when they get inside. One of those caffeinated drinks is a sponsor,"

"Are we really going to work for you tonight?" I ask.

"Not at all, but I didn't want them to mob you," he chuckles as we walk inside.

The Mjolnir Mix theme from Halo 2 plays loudly. A stage has an impressive setup for two teams and a massive high definition screen faces the audience.

 A stage has an impressive setup for two teams and a massive high definition screen faces the audience

Taylor looks excited and I believe he is about to pass out from the emotion. Evan excuses himself to continue working after bringing us to a place where we can watch without disruptions.

"Do you want something to drink?" I ask Taylor.

"A Coke would be nice. Thanks,"

I head to the bar and get us some drinks. I'm not driving tonight so I get me a beer. A guy stands next to me and smiles. He wears an access pass just like mine.

"Hello," he says.

"Hi," I reply.

"Are you playing?" he points at my pass.

"Me? No! I mean- I play, but I will never be in the same league as the guys here. Do you?"

"I play a bit," he says and stands with his back to the counter.

He looks like the average gamer dressed in black. His dark hair is a bit long and in the dim light I can't figure out what color are his eyes. One thing is for sure, he hasn't shaved in days and it suits him.

 One thing is for sure, he hasn't shaved in days and it suits him

"I'm Nash," he says, extending a hand.

"Nina,"

People enter the venue in masses and suddenly we are separated by a bunch of people. They all take selfies with him and shake his hand. Who is this guy then?

The bartender hands me my drinks.

"Do you know that guy?" I ask him.

"That is Nash Carter. His team won the championship the past two years and probably will win this year as well. A millionaire and is only 26 years old. I picked the wrong career," he chuckles.

Nash looks at me through the crowd and gives me a small wave. I smile and walk back to my seat with lifted spirits.