Chapter 11

I continue to ball my eyes out into Chase's chest. He rubs circles into my back, hoping to relax me. I haven't cried in this time period, not yet. I thought I was strong enough to handle my mission, but the sight of Mother's lifeless body was too much to bare. The fact that she died by my hand made the pain grow exponentially.

"I don't want to do this anymore. I just want to go home," I weep. Chase pulls me in closer to his chest. I have to admit, as much as I've hated him in the past, Chase's arms bring a warmth to heart. His embrace gives me the comfort I currently need. Normally I would run to Brother in times like these. It's so weird how much has changed.

I hear running steps approach us and slow to a halt. By the heavy breaths this person is taking, I know it must be Brother. No assassin has to work that hard to run.

"Please listen to me," Brother begs. I lift my head from Chase's chest and stand.

"No, you listen to me. You shouldn't have kept that from me. Out of all of the things I've been through, that was the worst. How could you not inform me that I killed her?" I raise my voice louder than I've ever had to my brother. All the emotions I am currently feeling are shown in my tone. I feel Chase tense at the words spilling from my mouth. "Did you ever plan on telling me?"

"No." Brother's voice is soft. "You were to find out when your memories returned to you. It would not have been right if I told you."

"So you assumed that finding this out alone would be better than hearing the words come from a loved one?" My voice sounds more accusing than questioning.

"What you saw was only a perspective. You don't know what happened to cause the events you saw. You-"

"Actually I do." I interrupt Brother before I feel more infuriated at his words. "I became a monster. Then, I killed my own mother with my own hands. Tell me, what information could you offer me to contradict that?" Brother remains silent while looking at the ground. "That's what I thought."

"You're not a monster," Brother says softly.

"I'll meet you back at the safe house," I say looking into his sad eyes. They're begging me to understand his side. I don't need him to say anything more. I have everything I need. I know what I say. I know what I've become.

Soon, I'm left alone with Chase. I had almost forgotten he was even there. He didn't make a sound. He never interrupts our conversations and I'm grateful for that. If he's confused, he always waits until I am ready to share.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that," I barely whisper.

"If you want to talk about it, I'm right here."

"Thank you."

There's a silence that fills the air. Neither one of us want to break it. No one knows what to say. A part of me wants to spill everything about my life to the assassin standing next to me. Another part is still in Templar control and tells me about the dangers of trusting such a terrible monster. In reality, I'm more of a monster than all of the assassins combined. I killed my mother, the person who raised me to be who I am today. She loved me and I, her. I don't know what happened before or after, but I don't care. Either way, I was the one who did the deed. Mother died by my hand and I will never forgive myself for it. Never.

"Was your brother a slave too?" Chase breaks the silence with his everlasting curiosity. His irrelevant question throws me slightly off guard.

"Yes," I say without making eye contact. "I'll see you in the morning for training."

I walk away, leaving Chase alone with his thoughts. I'm not looking forward to seeing my brother. So much between us has changed. This time period has changed us. There are so many secrets that we keep within ourselves. There is always more to every story. So many people would love to hear the stories of the Isu's war with the humans, but not me, I wish to leave that behind. I want to forget it all. Although Dr. Gultz's may be dead and gone, the shackles of slavery still force me to follow his command. Maybe if I were to retrieve my Apple, I would finally be free of this inevitable prison.

As I enter the safe house, not a word is exchanged between Brother and me. I know he has words left unsaid, but he fortunately keeps them to himself. He knows I do not wish to speak with him.

Training the next morning seems to be very successful. By paying close attention, I've learned to locate all of the balls without my special sense. We soon moved on to target practice with other balls. I'm slowly learning to fight with small wooden sticks. Chase has taught me the correct form of fighting. All of this happened in a single day.

"I think it's time to wrap up today's training," Chase says to me. Our conversations have been small ever since yesterday.

"Agreed." I begin walking toward the door, not wanting to engage in conversation.

"Lexi, about yesterday." I stop in my tracks but, don't turn back to face him as he speaks. "My mother disappeared when I was little. I know it's nothing compared to what happened with you but..." Chase pauses. "...I just thought you'd like to know."

I stand in place for a moment before continuing out the door. I considered turning back to Chase, but I know if I had, I would've found myself crying in his arms again.

When I arrive at the safe house, Brother is reading their strange writing. As a slave, we had never learned to read or write. It seems Brother must've learned after he came to this century. I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling for several minutes. I think about what life would've been like if we had all stayed together. What if I had been fully human? Dr. Gultz wouldn't have taken me away. Master would have kept us with him. Mother wouldn't have died by my hand. We could've all held each other together as a family.

"I'm going to the market. Would you like anything?" Brother interrupts my thoughts.

"I'll go instead. I need to get out and do something. Staying in here and thinking about what could've been isn't good for the mind."

He nods at my response and I continue out the door.

Luckily the market is in assassin territory. If it hadn't been, I wouldn't have been able to go. It's quaint. The fresh fruits and vegetables resemble the ones we had back in our day. Maybe the world hasn't changed all that much.

I search through the ripe produce, searching for ones that will satisfy my cravings. An unexpected hand wraps around my upper arm.

"I suggest you come with me Miss." I look at the man. My eyes drift to a triangle shape on his uniform. He is a Templar. Obviously he doesn't know that he is in an area guarded by assassins. If he did, he would've brought backup.

"I don't think so," I snap back.

He pulls a weapon out of it's holder. Before I even get a glimpse of it, my instincts kick in. I feel a rush of energy surge through me, way too big of a rush. Not only does the Templar collapse, but all of the people at the market fall as well. I plop to my hands and knees from the lack on energy and take a look around. Everyone is lying on the ground without a sound. Had I killed them? I see that the Templar's chest doesn't rise and fall like it should. I don't dare to look at the other bodies surrounding me. What have I done?