Chapter 6

"You have to believe me! I'm not your enemy! They are!"

Every since the Templar came and took me to one of their rooms, Chase has been trying to convince me that the assassins are not the enemy. I don't quite recall what happened while I was in there. I remember feeling groggy before I was lifted out. When I returned, I finally had the clarity I needed to realize Chase was an enemy of mine. After all, he did try to kill me.

"They brainwashed you! I can't believe this!" Chase yells.

All I do in return is shake my head from side to side in disbelief with wide eyes. My knees remain at my chest, but my breathing has finally slowed to normal.

"Ugh, whatever. I don't see the point in this anymore. Your mind belongs to them now."

Eventually we both drift off to sleep. Only a few hours pass before I hear the thump of something falling. I suspect they are bodies. I open my eyes to a dark room. It's not a Templar that I see, it's someone different. Is it an assassin? Chase must've heard them too because he is now awake. He begins to stand and scan the area. An old man comes into view, maybe in his 60s. He walks over to Chase's lock and picks it.

"We must remain as quiet as possible," he whispers before coming over to mine.

Before I know it, the door opens. Chase is out of his cage while my door remains open. I begin to panic. The only barrier that I had from the person who attempted to kill me is gone. My hands start to shake.

"They brainwashed her," Chase whispers to the man. "She is terrified of me."

I squeeze my legs closer to my chest trying to dull down the fear.

"Lexi." My eyes snap up to the man. How did he know my name? No one could possible know. I haven't spoken a word to anyone in this era. I simply stare at him blankly, displaying an expression filled with shock and confusion.

"Lexi, you have to trust me. I promise no harm will come of you." He offers his hand. After hesitating, I grasp it. I can almost walk on my own, but not quite.

We make our way through the halls and up a sloped pathway. The building we have been in is quite large. As we make our way through, I spot motionless figures lying on the floor. The old man had probably taken care of then while he was coming in.

We finally reach the exit. All 3 of us walk through the doorway before multiple guards surround us with weapons. There appears to be around 20 of them. The assassin tries to take a step forward to fight, but the man puts his arm out in front of him, causing him to halt.

"Lexi, let your instincts kick in," the man whispers to me.

One of the guard walks over to me cautiously and attempts to grab me. Almost on command, my body takes over. I stick my arms out and lift all of the guards off the ground with my power. My arms glow with the markings of the artifact from the Isu era. Their movements are frozen in the air as I lift them higher off the ground. The old man drags me away towards many trees along with Chase, who is a bit in shock. Once we're far enough away I release the energy, dropping all of the bodies on the ground and leaving them unconscious. The use of my powers for the first time since I've been here causes me to collapse to the ground. It seems so natural, yet I don't recall having them. I would've used them on Chase by now. His skill would be no match for mine.

"What the heck was that?!" Chase's voice is obviously surprised by the things he just experienced. I glare at him, confused by the use of his vocabulary. I don't recall "heck" being a word we used.

"Pick her up. We need to get out of here as fast as we can. I have a safe place to stay." The man says before jogging away.

Chase picks me up in his strong arms. I'm too worn out to object and I'm close to passing out.

We run through a nearby forest. Chase is obviously very skilled with good balance as he hops over tree roots and quickly avoids holes, all while holding me in his arms. As I regain my energy, my eyes catch a pendant with the familiar symbol. My body tenses up and my breathing becomes shaky. Chase must've noticed because he starts to speak.

"I'm not going to hurt you." He smiles down at me. This seems to momentarily calm my fear.

"We're here," the man tells us from up ahead. I look to see that we are entering a small cave. It is well hidden from the rest of the forest, so it should work as a temporary shelter.

"Place her down on the rug. She needs to rest." The old man gestures over to a few blankets on the ground next to a pile of wood. Chase places me down. The man lights a small fire and sits beside Chase.

"I'm glad you're okay." The man faces me. I smile back at him, a bit confused as to tonight's events. He knew my name, where to find me, and details about my past. I haven't spoken a word to anyone in this century. I decide to change that now.

"Who are you?" My voice is a bit raspy from not talking for thousands of years. I can see, in the corner of my eye, that I caught Chase's attention. He is a bit stunned by hearing the sound of my voice for the first time. The man looks down at his hands, slightly pained by my question.

"I didn't expect you to recognize me." He starts to smile to himself slightly. "I go by the name Richard, but you wouldn't know that. I didn't have a name the last time I saw you. Quite some time has passed." His gaze continues to stay fixed down on his hands. Then it clicks. I stare into the man's emerald green eyes, which resemble mother's. There is only one other person I know with those green eyes.

"Brother?" My face lights up. Chase stares in complete shock. I crawl over to my brother and pull him into my arms. "I thought you were gone. I never thought I would see you again. How are you here?"

"That is a story for another day. Right now, you need your rest. You've had a long day."

I nod at him before returning to the blankets. I face away from the fire and close my eyes, trying to sleep.

After about half an hour I'm still not asleep. Apparently Chase and my brother aren't either for they are talking amongst themselves.

"So, can you explain what happened today?" Chase's tone is obviously very confused.

"Ask and I shall answer the best I can," Brother answers.

"First off, how did she lift those men? Is she some weird superhero in the making or something?" Chase begins with his first question with a hint of humor lingering in his voice.

"I will let her explain it to you when she's ready. It's not my story to tell, but I will tell you that she wasn't always that way. Her abilities were not a choice, and most importantly, not her choice."

Both men are unaware that I'm awake.

"Okay, and how exactly are you two siblings? No offense, but you look way older than her."

"None taken. I guess you could say we're not from around here. I managed to get to the same place at around the same time, but it wasn't exact. It was difficult to predict. She was put in a coma-like state to preserve her body. This was her mission. I'm not supposed to be here."

"Where exactly did you come from?" Chase continues questioning"

"I'll let her fill you in on that when she's ready. Like I said, I'm not supposed to be here."

"Then why did you come?" Chase's tone was a bit harsher than intended.

"I came because I love her. She was my everything. We did everything together. The thought of never seeing her again didn't sit well in my mind. She's been through a lot, mentally and physically. In time, her fear of you will go away. She's strong and will get through it. Just be patient."

"Thank you." I can tell that Chase didn't quite get the answers he was looking for. Now the pressure is on me to give them to him. The words of my brother give me peace and finally allow me to drift off into a deep sleep.

A/N

I try to update this book ever 3-5 days. I promise I will never leave this book unfinished. I hate when I read a good book, only to find that it was abandoned. That will not happen here! Thank you all for reading!