Isabelle Olympus part 18

Start from the beginning

I was quite looking forward to showing the kids Olympus, but I had a feeling that the meeting might be a bit of a disappointment to them. Usually they just consisted of petty arguments and fights between the gods rather than anything really important. I know that Annabeth in particular was hoping to see political debates and vital decision being made at a standard that was way above what she was going to see at the winter-solstice. The only consolation for her that I could think of was that Athena never took part in the stupid quarrels, but I didn’t think that it would be enough for Annabeth.

I knew how she felt, I too thought that for immortals that are thousands of years old, they’d be a bit more mature and responsible. However that isn’t the case, they can act worse than the kids at camp. You’d think seeing as how they’re gods they’d be better role models for their children but instead they only inspire arguments between the cabins. It’s ridiculous! I don’t want to be like that, I try to be a good influence on the kids, but with the whole Connor drama I don’t know if I’m any better than they are.

The time before the trip to Olympus seemed to fly by extremely quickly and before I knew it I was guiding the few campers we had into the empire state building with Chiron who had disguised his real legs in a wheelchair (a clever bit of machinery by the Hephaestus cabin). Of course Chiron and I had been here before but to the others it was all knew and to see them looking around in wonder and confusion was quite amusing.

“I thought we were going to Olympus.” Clarisse asked as we got in the elevator, obviously not understanding.

“Oh we are.” Chiron chuckled lightly, not giving her any more information. I sighed and was about to explain and put Clarisse out of her misery, as what Chiron had said seemed to only make her more confused, but Annabeth beat me to it.

“It’s at the top. The lift will take us there.” She explained, bouncing slightly from excitement. I knew that Annabeth had read everything that there was on Olympus, she was fascinated by the architecture and couldn’t wait to see it for herself.

Chiron inserted a security key into a slot on the elevator control panel making another button appear with the number 600 on it. Chiron pressed the button and the lift started to move with an annoyingly catchy tune playing quietly in the background, which I was positive I would be humming for the rest of the day.

Eventually the lift stopped and the doors slid open to reveal Olympus, there was a collective gasp from behind me as the kids took in the sight. And it was a sight, the colourful market selling everything you could think of, the temples and beautiful buildings, the gardens. No one could deny that the place was stunning. And then all havoc set in, the youngest of the kids with us, Emma, obviously saw something that caught her eye and charged after it by herself. I lost sight of her in the crowd before I could even call out for her to come back. The others immediately followed her lead and sprinted out into the bustling town looking for something that interested them, melting into the crowd and disappearing, leaving me standing helplessly and shocked in the elevator.

Oh Styx! We haven’t even been here two seconds and we’ve already lost all of the children! I turned to Chiron for help and was surprised to see that we hadn’t lost all of the children, Luke was still standing in the corner where he had been earlier, just looking out at Olympus. I couldn’t read the expression on his face, but I think that awe was in there somewhere, mixed up with hurt. That wasn’t a good sign. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that Luke didn’t run away like the others did, he was nineteen after all. But something was telling me that it wasn’t his age that stopped him from dashing into the home of the Olympian gods.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath turning my attention to Chiron, hoping that he didn’t see the way that my eyes rested on Luke beforehand. Chiron didn’t know about the prophecy and I wasn’t going to snitch on Luke to him, he didn’t need to know.