Friends in Low Places

Luke 

I stared at myself in the mirror, bearing things I thought were impossible about a month ago. I'd made it this far. Being involved with vampires and Hunters and Originals, I managed to survive. Most would just believe that to be a miracle.

I owed it all to the one person who wouldn't be standing by my side today. Well, besides my own family.

Weeks had passed since Ava gave herself up. Since she surrendered herself to her father. We just sat here, letting it happen. There was nothing else to do. Everyone felt helpless. Myself, even more so. I was only a human unlike the majority of residents in this house. Even Chris at least had his own abilities in science and medicine.

I went to school, managing to pass my classes, which was unthinkable in itself. Liv, as

well.

Now the day came. One I looked forward to before all this happened. Graduation.

Cap and gown on, I was ready to walk across that stage and receive my diploma. But it wouldn't be a sigh of relief like I always thought. I thought high school was as a bad as it good get. That finally, after I walked across that stage, I would be through this hell. But little did I know, high school was nothing compared to World War III with the vampires, Hunters, and Originals.

"Luke?"

Jane popped her head into the room.

Lately, she hadn't been herself. It had gotten worse after her and Hanson raided the Hunters' headquarters. After they discovered that there was no trace of the cure Celia had spent her life's work on.

I wanted to tell Jane that it would be okay. That I didn't care what she was. That nothing could change my feelings. But I realized it wasn't my feelings that were the issue. It was all in her own head. All she wanted was to be human. She wanted to live the life she always wanted. It had little to do with me in the end. It was all her.

"Wow," she said, closing the door behind her. "You know, I have never been to a graduation before."

"Really?" I asked before catching myself. Of course. She was turned before her own, and it wasn't like she ever had a reason to go afterwards. "It's not a big deal. Just a bunch of speeches, sitting around, people's names get called out. That's about it."

"But it's a rite of passage, right? Reality that you are entering into another life."

I shrugged. "I guess it's our own little transition. Except less blood lust."

She smiled weakly. "Have you thought about what's next?" she asked me.

I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"For you, your life. What's next? Most people go straight to college after high school, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, but I don't think college is in the cards for me. At least right now. I can't afford it. And it just doesn't seem like the right move right now, you know, with everything that's been happening."

She licked her lips. "Ava wouldn't want you to not live your life just because of her."

"Well, it's not just because of her," I said.

She avoided my gaze. I knew the same thoughts I had ran through her head right now. Thoughts of the future and everything that we couldn't have. Things couldn't change. We couldn't move forward for the sake of whatever tomorrow might bring. And neither of us had yet adjusted to that fact.