Sympathy for the Devil

Ava

Time seemed to be catching up to me faster than usual these days. I found myself trapped in its rifts with nowhere to turn.

I thought of my promise to William. That I would stay out of this war—not play along with Daniel, my father's, game. But there was no getting out or staying out. I was already in it. I was in it the moment I found out about this child. The moment William and I met. The moment I was born.

Life would be simpler—if I was a normal human girl just worrying about finals and graduation and college. But I could never have that, that much I knew.

There was only one answer. Only one thing left to do. We were trapped. All of us, everyone I cared about. Daniel had the reigns, and he was just pulling us along. We couldn't play against him.

I opened the door to Derek's room, which was clean and barely looked lived in. Derek had few possessions, that much was obvious, and he needed little to get by after years of running and traveling. What he did have of value was a cellphone, and it just happened to be sitting on his bedside table.

I glanced down the hallway, before walking in and shutting the door behind me. I reached the phone, picking it up and scrolling through the previous call law. There it was. The only number on the phone without a caller ID. I took a deep breath before pushing it and waited for someone to pick up.

"Ah," the voice on the other end said, making my whole body freeze over. "Made a decision so soon?"

"I want to talk," I told him.

"Ava," he said, seeming surprised. "Wow, you truly are like your mother."

"If by my mother, you mean the woman you killed right in front of me. Then, maybe I am. Just a little bit though." I swallowed. "I want to talk to you about this deal."

"I wouldn't think your boyfriend would be so willing to let you comply."

"William knows nothing," I told him. "He's not a part of this. He never was."

"The prophecy speaks of two," Daniel went on, speaking as if was merely a matter of fact. "He just happens to be the other half of the equation."

"But he's not the one you want. I am. Not because I'm your daughter, but because I am a dire part of this little game you're trying to play. Well, I am here to tell you that I am done. You are playing with people's lives here. You are nothing but a murderer. A coward. A—"

"You know little, Ava, dear," he continued. "You only see one side of the story. You see what you want to see."

"I see the truth," I spat into the phone.

"How about this," he said, smacking his lips together. "We meet. You remember the warehouse you woke up at after your transformation—"

"How do you know—" I started before he interrupted me.

"But you remember where it is?"

"Yes, but—"

"Meet me there," he insisted. "I won't bring my men if you promise not to bring yours."

I pressed my lips together. Part of my wanted to tell him off. He had left me and killed my mother and was now after everything and everyone else I knew. But another part was curious. I wanted to know more about him and his intentions. I had questions, questions I wanted answered.