Prologue

Percy's POV
I watched the life disappear from her eyes. I felt her stop breathing. I felt my entire universe crumbling because Annabeth Chase is dead. I will never see her smile, or laugh, or that look in her eye whenever she talks about something she's passionate about.
"Come on, Percy." Will Solace put a gentle hand on my shoulder.
"Get off!" I screamed, sobbing. I held Annabeth's body close and cried.

The rest of the war was a blur. At some point, someone had prayed me off of Annabeth, and she was wrapped in a beautiful purple-silver shroud. The only time I talked was to scream orders. I never rested, and I never stopped. Even at night, when Kronos and his monsters  retreated, I hunted them down and slaughtered them in their sleep. The next thing I remember clearly is Zeus offering me immortality. It makes sense. I was worth thousands of trained demigods based on the number of monsters I killed. None of them saw me coming. After I accepted, a small (compared to the others), blue and silver throne appeared at the base of my father's. The silver reminded me of Annabeth's eyes.
"Perseus Jackson, the immortal god of loyalty."

It's been too many years to count since the titan war. Everybody I knew from my old life is long dead, and now I lounge around Olympus as a sixteen year old god. Just because I know I'll never die and I live the perfect life, it doesn't mean I'm happy. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about Annabeth. Who knows what would've happened to us if she hadn't died?

Just like all the other gods, I go down to the mortal earth every once in a while and just mingle. I even have my own cabin at camp, which is terrifying. I know every single one of my children by name, but I don't care about them. I don't care enough to guide them to camp, or to visit them, but I do claim the ones who make it there without my help. I know how awful it is to wait in the Hermes cabin, never knowing who your parent is.
There is this one girl, Dana Gerald, who I am particularly interested in. She's fourteen years old, and she's been at camp for five years now. I claimed her the moment she stepped foot on Half Blood Hill. I don't remember who her mother is, but I rarely do. I've never met any of my kids in person. I sort of want to meet this Dana, though. Unlike most of my other children, she's rebellious, and she isn't loyal. Funny, since she's the daughter of the god of loyalty.