Chapter 17 - Brendan

Start from the beginning

I give a last look at the living room and decide that it looks stuffy enough. I clear the packaging from the decorations and head to my old bedroom to get dressed.

My costume hangs from the door of the closet and I feel a bit sad. Taylor and I were supposed to come together to the party. We have done it every year, except when his brother got married.

I get dressed and do my makeup using the products from my cosplay box.

"You look beautiful,"

I turn around and find my dad standing at the door. He is wearing a pirate costume just like every year.

"Thanks," I look at my reflection.

"What is going on?" he takes a seat on my old bed.

"Nothing..."

"You were never good at lying to me," Dad chuckles. "You could fool your mom at times, but I could always see through you. What is bothering you Nina?"

"I feel lonely," I admit. "Taylor is dating a girl he met at the craft store. I don't hear much from him anymore. I don't even know if he is coming tonight,"

"There was a chance it could happen. When you get in a relationship the rest of the world ceases to exist for a while. It is only you and the special person in your life,"

"I know, but it still bothers me,"

"Give it some time. Your friendship is too strong. Promise me you will enjoy yourself tonight. Do you have a date?"

"I do, a guy from the collectors group called Brendan,"

"That's my girl," Dad pats my shoulder. "Princess Leia, would you do me the honor of accompanying this old pirate downstairs?"

I smile at my sweet dad and we head downstairs together. A DJ is working his magic and some people have arrived already.

"Nina, someone is waiting for you," Lisa smiles at me.

I head to the living room and gaze around. I don't see anyone I know. There are some zombies, super heroes and someone dressed as Darth Vader...

I walk towards him and appreciate his effort.

"Leia, I'm your date," says the breathy electronic voice.

Brendan takes off his helmet and grins at me.

"You mentioned your costume and I wanted something that matched

"You mentioned your costume and I wanted something that matched. I checked with some of my friends and this was the best I could find at short notice,"

"It is perfect. Thanks for thinking of me," I kiss his cheek.

A bunch of people arrive. Lisa and my parents greet everyone and point them to the food and drinks. I chat with Brendan and find myself fascinated by his looks and his brain.

"That guy in the wheelchair is dressed as R2-D2. That is so cool! We should take a photo of us together," Brendan says.

I look towards the door and watch Taylor as he comes in. He smiles but there is something off about him. A woman dressed in gold has her hand on his shoulder. He spots me and joins us.

"Hey, cool beanie," Taylor gives me a cheeky grin.

"You are so humble," I laugh. "Brendan, this is my friend Taylor. He made our beanies,"

"Did you? Can I order a Pikachu one?" Brendan says with enthusiasm.

"Sure, but let me rest my hands for a while. I still get cramps from the long time I spent making ours," he flexes his fingers. "This is my friend Jessica. I believe you met Nina at the craft store,"

I can't help but to enjoy the fact that he called her a friend. Jessica gives us a small smile, but looks awkward and uncomfortable.

"Are you an Oscar statue?" Brendan asks Jessica.

"No, I'm the golden robot from Trek Wars,"

I look at Taylor and he has a mortified face. Jessica just mixed franchises and doesn't even know anything about the character. Did she even make an effort?

"I just realized I'm on a date with my daughter. I'm a pervert!"

Taylor and I burst laughing at the realization. Princess Leia is indeed Darth Vader's daughter. Brendan probably said it to distract us from the weird moment. Jessica scrunches her face.

"I don't get it," she says.

"Have you ever seen Star Wars?" I ask.

"Why would I? Isn't that for kids?"

The three of us gasp.

"But you are dressed as a character from the movie," Brendan says.

"Oh this," she points at her clothes. "I wanted to come as a slutty cheerleader, but Taylor said that it would be better if we matched. One of my colleagues told me to wear this,"

"Have your colleague watched the movie?" I ask fascinated.

"Probably. He is a big nerd,"

Taylor excuses them and moves to the kitchen area before I make a fuss. I don't see him for the rest of the evening and O can bet that he went home. I enjoy my time with Brendan plenty. We dance, bob for apples and even throw popcorn at each other to catch with our mouths.

"That was so much fun," Brendan plops himself on a couch. "I'm going to miss these holidays so much,"

"What do you mean?" I feel a hint of panic at his words.

"I'm moving to Japan after New Year. That is the reason why I'm less active in the collectors group. I can't buy new stuff because I can't bring everything with me,"

Another failed attempt. This one hurts because I could see myself with Brendan.