Chapter Four: Dinner And Surprises

"She's discovered she could have her cake and eat it too. She just needed to put on her prettiest apron... and bake it"

HUMMING A JOYFUL TONE under her breath, Allie studied herself in the mirror and smiled in satisfaction. Her hair was behaving today and thank God, the pimple on her cheek was already long gone. She was wearing a simple blue dress and her dark hair was tied into a ponytail. She wore minimal make-up and Allie felt ready to receive the house's guest for tonight.

Allie's smile soon disappeared when she eyed her phone on her dresser. Michael haven't replied to any of her texts or responded to any of her calls, when he'd promised that he will. He and his family went to Dubai yesterday for a family vacation and he was yet to inform her he was safely there already.

Allie had been Michael's girlfriend for 4 years and although their relationship was strained and to put it blatantly, loveless right now, Allie was still clueless as to why she was still holding onto him. Stupidly holding onto the hope that was almost none existent that Michael would get back to the way he was before. Sweet and loving.

"Allie, darling! Are you done?"

She then heard Mrs. Durant, or more precisely, her grand-aunt, called her from downstairs. Forcing a convincing smile on her face - like how she always did - Allie then rushed towards her bedroom door. "Coming, grandmamma!" She hollered back and quickly closed her door and went downstairs.

Mrs. Durant had cooked divine and delicious-looking meals for their guests, including her infamous apple pie! Allie truly loved her grand-aunt apple pies. They were simply her favorite food ever since she was a little girl. The dining room's lights and candles were turned on and there were in total of ten sets of plates placed on the table, when it was usually two.

"Oh, darling, you look beautiful," Mrs. Durant cooed and went to cup Allie's cheeks, causing her to blush in embarrassment. The plump woman then sighed, pushing a rouge strand of hair to the back of her ear and smiled gently. "You look so much like your mama. God bless her soul,"

Allie smiled at her grand-aunt who had been taking care of her as if she was her own and said, "Thank you, grandmamma," She murmured before throwing her attention towards the food served on the table. "You've outdone yourself, grandmamma. Everything looks divine,"

"Oh, don't give me too much of the credits, darling. You helped, too, remember?" She then laughed but stopped when suddenly the doorbell rang. "Oh, that must be Evelyn and her family!" Unable to contain her excitement, Mrs. Durant then went to answer the door.

Heaving out a nervous breath, Allie quickly patted her dress and her hair - silently praying the latter would behave until much, much later - when Mrs. Durant swung it open, revealing to her a beautiful woman wearing a beautiful smile. She then watched as the woman hugged Mrs. Durant tightly, chatting in excitement. This must be Mrs. Curtis.

"Hello, Mrs. Durant. It's nice to see you again," An older but handsome man smiled at Mrs. Durant before giving her a brief hug, placing a kiss on her cheek. "You look exquisite - as always,"

"Oh, Andrew. Charming as ever I see," Mrs. Durant then invited them in and asked, "And hello again, Declan! You look handsome! And who are these cuties?" She asked, bending slightly as she studied the rest of the Curtis sons.

Smiling slightly, Allie studied the Curtis family. Declan's parents looked like they were a nice couple and completely in love. And there was a boy - Emmet, as Mrs. Durant had told her - probably twelve or thirteen, who was engrossed with his iPad.

Allie giggled softly as she watched Mrs. Curtis fussed over him, telling him to put the gadget away. And then there was the twins, Keith and Joel (she couldn't tell them apart) who looked completely adorable wearing a similar blue button-up shirt. It seemed that they were both adopted since it was rather clear they weren't born Americans. Mr. Curtis had one of the twins in his arm while the other clung onto Mrs. Curtis's legs like his life depended on it.

They looked like a sweet family.

Still smiling softly, Allie's eyes then fell into Declan's widened hazel ones. He looked handsome as well, wearing a black shirt and jeans. Oops, it seemed to her that he was unaware of the fact that Allie was living with Mrs. Durant and would be joining them for the dinner. He looked somewhat shocked! She offered him a small smile, tucking a lock of hair to the back of her ear.

"Oh, darling, come here!" Mrs. Durant exclaimed and began to introduce her to the Curtis family. "This is my darling grand-niece, Alexandra. She is living with me temporarily ever since the school's summer break has started. Alexandra, the Curtis family,"

Allie offered a small but polite smile. "Hello. It's nice to meet you. But you can call me Allie, please,"

"Hello, Allie," Mrs. Curtis smiled at her. "My name is Evelyn and this is my husband, Andrew. And these," She gestured at her four sons. "Are my sons. Declan, the eldest. Emmet, second eldest and the twins, Kevin and Joel," She then leaned towards her and whispered playfully, "It's actually easy to tell them apart, I swear,"

Allie giggled. "It is nice to meet you. Come, let us have dinner,"

***

Swallowing nervously, Declan glanced at Allie siting across him, smiling so beautifully as she chatted with his mom. She looked so incredibly gorgeous he found himself struggling to swallow and digest the food. Her hair was shiny and her smile was gorgeous. God, and even her scent surpassed the foods on the table. That's it - he was definitely whipped.

"Declan!"

Snapping out of his thoughts, Declan turned towards his mom who looked somewhat amused and worried at the same time. Clearing his throat, he awkwardly pushed his glasses up to his nose and said, "S-sorry. What is it, mom?"

"Well, I was just asking you why you didn't tell us you've met Allie yesterday at the café,"

"Oh," Declan murmured, glancing at the girl he had a crush on who was apparently his mother's old friend's/his new employer's grand-niece only to blushed bright red when he saw Allie smiling at him, her brown eyes twinkled both in delight and amusement. "Um, I... I just -"

"- It's alright, Mrs. Curtis. It's not Declan's fault that he doesn't know I'm living with my grandmamma and will be here at the dinner this evening," Allie interjected, flashing him another innocent smile that never failed to make his heart race. The subject of the conversation on the dinner table then changed into something else - much to Declan's relief - and then the next thing he knew the dinner was over.

Declan's parents and Mrs. Durant was sitting in the living room, chatting and catching up among themselves whilst Emmet and the twins were occupying themselves with the TV. Declan thought the cartoon show was a little too action-packed and violent for the two years old, but it wasn't like the twins actually cared about it. Besides, their mother didn't seem to say anything to he guessed it was okay.

Who? Him? Well, Declan was too busy admiring the sketched portraits hung on the walls by the stairs. The portraits were the same as the one he liked to do, but there were so few of them in the house so he assumed Mrs. Durant had paid an artist to do them instead of doing them herself. Declan didn't recognize most of the people in the picture except for Mr. and Mrs. Durant, however it was safe to presume those were their children.

"Hello,"

Alarmed, Declan swiveled his head towards his right only to have his eyes widened and face burnt bright red when he realized Allie's face was inches from his. Allie giggled softly upon seeing his facial expression and he recoiled, pushing his glasses up to his nose. "S-sorry. Hello," He muttered. "I'm not usually like this. I-I mean, not that i-it's weird o-or anything -"

"- Declan!" Allie chuckled, stopping his nonsense babbling. "It's okay, I understand," She giggled and stopped after several seconds, studying Declan's face without even bothering to do it subtly - much to Declan's embarrassment. "Come with me," She suddenly said.

"Sorry?"

"Just come on," Allie laughed before innocently taking his hand in her smaller and much, much softer ones, completely oblivious to the pounding of Declan's heart and led him towards the corridors.

| END OF CHAPTER FOUR |

:
:
:

Author's Note:
Do vote and comment what you think!