CHAPTER 4

Carter had been prepared for a getaway, that was for sure. The black Jeep I found was parked between a few trees with leaves and branches thrown over it. There were weapons and ammo in the trunk, bags filled with extra clothes, boxes of canned and boxed food, and closed containers of medical supplies, extra gas cans tucked into the back seat.

Finding the vehicle was easy enough after Carter told me where it was. The hard part was getting Demi in the passenger seat. The dirt road Carter had talked about was just in front of the car, easy to navigate through the trees. It must have been some sort of hiking trail when the world still existed, now it was our road to freedom.

When I was satisfied that we were far enough away from the enemy and not being followed I parked the car, turning to Demi so I could look over him for any injuries I'd have to clean up or bandage. Luckily there was no wound that I needed to seriously focus on, all he had was some bruising on his arms and his forehead, basically wherever IV's or electrical wires had been connected to his skin.

There were no physical injuries to be seen, if anything was really wrong it was all mental from the therapy, which would explain why he wasn't waking up yet. The electricity already affected him negatively, it was no wonder it knocked him out of commission so easily. I had hope that he would wake up again soon, but for now, maybe sleeping was best.

"Don't worry, Demi," I squeezed his hand after checking him over and sat back, turning the key to start the engine, "Just sleep, relax. I'll get you to Kailas and everything will be fine."

We drove for a while, the sun came up before setting again and we only reached the first town when the moon was high in the sky. It was starting to get harder to concentrate though, my head was pounding, my hips were aching, and I was slowly losing my energy. The healthy thing for me to be doing would probably be lying down and relaxing, but I'd been sitting up for hours now, and I was probably bleeding or something equally as bad.

My eyes were burning, I was struggling to keep them open, wanting nothing more than to just lie in bed and hate myself like I'd done before. Rhett may have hurt me, but Blu wrecked me. I was in agony, and the pain killers from the kit Carter had stashed in the Jeep trunk were wearing off insanely fast.

I was going to pass out soon, which probably wasn't good since I had a massive concussion and I may not wake up if I blacked out again. The first few times I was lucky to have woken up, I could've slipped into a coma if my luck had been shit. I wasn't going to be able to drive for much longer in my condition. When we got to the next town I'd have to find somewhere to park so I could look over myself, try to fix all the injuries I'd received because of that monster.

The sign set up outside the next town we came to was tipping sideways, and the name printed in white was fading so much I could hardly read it. It worked for me, though. Pluto. It looked abandoned, but I wanted to get through as quickly as I could, or at least find somewhere I could park the car so I could find some stronger medicine in the trunk to keep me going until we reached the base.

I was probably seconds away from passing out, driving quickly down the street, I swear if I'd been just a little worse off I never would have noticed the three silhouettes standing in the street with guns raised. I would have mowed them down, but I saw them just in time and hit the brakes, the Jeep screeching to a stop and my head nearly slamming against the steering wheel, which would have been just wonderful for me.

A groan left my throat and I laid my head against the wheel, silently panicking. It would be just my luck if those people turned out to be Fer-de-Lance. I just couldn't get a break, could I? There was a knock on my window, one of the rogues must have walked up in the time I was trying to calm down, and I jumped, lifting my head up to see the man standing outside waving his handgun like it was a warning for me not to try to get away. All I could see through my headache was brown hair, and I was too scared to try concentrating harder.

Toy Soldier {ManxManxMan}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें