6 - • Fred •

Next day, a Thursday, Fred, George and Lee happily strode into the Great Hall, feeling, for once, as though everything was going well for Fred. He informed them of everything said between him and Beth Black, the way she looked at him and the way she retreated from him. He couldn't see the loathe anymore and that was a start. Lee thought that Beth was slowly becoming infatuated with him, intrigued and curious. George, on the other hand, feared for Fred's life - not because Beth wasn't adapting, but because she was telling Dumbledore who was sure to find out, who would then forward the message on to their mother.

Beth wasn't in the Great Hall that morning, meaning she was talking with Dumbledore, and the boys silently prayed that she wouldn't bring Fred up - slim chance at that, the trio agreed on.

"The way she was looking at me it was like . . . nothing she'd ever set on Pukey, that's for sure," Fred said cheerfully, biting happily into a dry, butterless piece of toast. He was far too happy to care that there was nothing on it. "You know, Lee, I think she might've been curious. I am interesting after all, aren't I?"

"What are you lot talking about?" Ron mumbled as he walked past with Harry and Hermione, yawning and wiping his sleepy eyes.

"Never you mind, nosy," George said, throwing a grape at his nose. Ron groaned but said nothing as he walked past. "Lee, anything new with Alicia?"

"Nope. I'm going to be singing to her, that's a damn sure."

Fred grinned when his friend looked grumpily at him. "Karma. I've always believed in her. You know, this whole vow business -"

"- Fred."

" - it makes me thankful that Dad caught us trying to get Ron to make one -"

"- Fred . . ."

" - it's already hard at fifteen. I mean, can you imagine a five-year-old trying to do it?"

"Fred."

"George, d'you remember what it was?"

"Fred!" said Lee, pointing over the redhead's shoulder.

Frowning, Fred looked over his shoulder and his eyes trailed up to a familiar Slytherin, who was holding her arms out with his folded robes. She looked tired but just as beautiful as she was yesterday. She must have been that tired that she hadn't realised her braid was very off-centered.

"Are you going to stare at me all morning or are you going to take your stupid robes?" the Slytherin huffed.

"Staring sounds good," Fred said as he ate, then reached out to take the robes from Beth's hands. He made sure to touch her hands. "But I'd also like these robes back. Sit with me."

"No," Beth said simply, her stare holding a tinge of iciness. "Dumbledore wants to see you and your brother. Only you two. He's with McGonagall in her office."

Lee chewed his food slowly, avoiding eye contact with the Weasley twins who were looking at him, mouthing wordlessly.

"Why does he want to see me?" said George, raising an eyebrow. "I wasn't even there. Even ask Lee. I was with him the whole time."

"You two are practically inseparable," Beth rolled her eyes effortlessly, shifting from one foot to the other impatiently. Her eyes trailed over to other Gryffindors who were whispering and looking at her. Her expression grew sour. "Just - hurry up!"

"Inseparable?" Fred gasped, sharing a look with his twin. "Oh no, we can be separable, love. Just because we came into this world together, doesn't mean we're together when we shower -"

"Go to the loo -"

"Go to sleep -"

"Talk to girls -"