5 - • Fred •

Beth didn't care who the hand belonged to, was only afraid of what lurked beneath the murky water of the Black Lake, and felt herself being pulled from it

 Beth didn't care who the hand belonged to, was only afraid of what lurked beneath the murky water of the Black Lake, and felt herself being pulled from it. Her free hand slapped against the grass, pushing herself to her feet once she yanked her other hand from someone else's.  

He watched her stand up to her full height, her school uniform pressed tight into her body as she hugged herself self-consciously. She looked up to his face and scowled.

"Fred Weasley, I knew it was you! You did this!" she spat at him, her wet hair sticking to her face. She began to stalk off, talking at the top of her lungs. Fred quickly caught up to her, sneaking a look at the tree where George and Lee were behind, grinning and sticking their thumbs up at him. "Why can't you just leave me alone - that's all I want, is to be left alone!"

"Hey, relax, I just saved your life!" he told her. Before she could go any further, he reached out and gently pulled her back by the shoulder. She cringed away from his touch and threw off his hand, staring at him with an expression torn between disgust and confusion. "I saved you, don't you think I should be receiving a bit of gratitude? What d'you think would've happened if I didn't see Adrian Pukey dragging your unconscious body from the castle! Here," he added, taking off his robes, "cover yourself with my robes."

She shook her head and took a step away from him.

"I didn't poison my own robes if that's what you're worried about. Oh - you reckon I somehow managed to slip a love potion inside! Now that'd be awful tricky, don't you think I'd be in love with myself by now?"

"There'd be no difference," Beth snapped, snatching Fred's robes from his hands and sliding it over her shivering body. Fred grinned. "Where is Adrian? Oh, he'd best pray I don't spot him in the next week because that's exactly where I'll be hexing him."

"Don't worry," Fred said, pretending to crack his knuckles. "I took care of him for you."

She eyed him suspiciously. "You're being really weird and calm. You didn't have any part in this, did you?"

"No! You think I – me, adorable, innocent Fred Weasley – am capable of kidnapping you? A terrifying Slytherin, if I do say so myself. I'm wetting myself already."

"Ew – just shut up," she snapped, huffing as she stalked her way up to the castle. "How'd you even get out of the castle, anyway? Filch is usually guarding around there."

"Can't say," Fred told her, smiling as she looked back at him with a glint of irritation in her grey eyes.

"Why not?" she demanded.

"You told me to shut up, didn't you? Well - this is me shutting up. Sort of."

"Has anyone ever told you you're really annoying?" the Slytherin huffed, rubbing her arms. Fred took in how big his robes looked on her.