Love

Dear Love

#CollateralBeauty

Love,

I used to believe that you were like what I'd seen in the movies. I thought that I'd find you in some perfect stranger on the street. Whenever a guy held the door open for me or smiled in my direction, I wondered if I'd find you in him. Maybe our hands would brush as we walked past each other and I'd feel a crackle of electricity, perhaps we'd be drawn to each other like a moth to light.

I lost count of the times I expected you to walk my way. The disappointment I felt when you didn't, became a permanent little rain cloud that followed me everywhere. I'd practically given up on you altogether when I bumped into Matthew outside of Costa.

Of course, it wasn't love at first sight, in fact, I was kind of annoyed that he'd spilt my hot chocolate everywhere. But he apologised and brought me another; I suppose we ended up having an impromptu first date that neither of us had been expecting when we'd walked out of our front doors that morning.

One date turned into two, and that soon became ten until eventually, I lost count of the number of dates that Matthew and I shared. As the months passed by, you slowly crept into my life until I could no longer remember what it was like without you. I still think it's weird how when I'd stopped looking for you, you decided to show yourself. I guess I should've expected that, though, I mean Queen even wrote a song about how crazy you are, and the Supremes told me that I couldn't hurry you.

But, whatever, I'm thankful that you decided to show up when you did.

Even now I still don't fully understand you, but I know you're nothing like the movies show us.

And cute cards and huge bunches of flowers aren't how you're measured. If there is one thing I've learnt about you since I met Matthew, it's that you come in many forms.

You are the bath that Matthew ran for me when I came home from work stressed and exhausted. You're the picnic we shared together in his favourite place on the beach. The blanket he put over me when I fell asleep on the sofa. You're entwined in every, "be careful," and "take care." Every single, "good morning" and "goodnight," is laced with traces of you.

You're the reason an argument is forgotten. You are the memories that we created, the reason I smile and the cause of my tears too.

It's true the power of love really is a force from above, and I'm so lucky that I got to meet you, even if it was for a short time.

A.