24. A New Friend?

By the time we got back, it was dark.

We pulled into the driveway.

"Kristen, get your stuff because we are sleeping in the living room." Kat said.

Stefan looked at me. "Are you sure?"

I kissed his cheek. "I'll miss you tons. But, yes."

Katherine set blankets and pillows everywhere. Damon and Stefan were upstairs.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I asked, spreading a blanket over the floor.

Katherine came over with a bowl of pretzels.

"Is it that bad for me to be nice?"

"Um, yeah..."

"I'm sorry." She sat down next to me and turned on the tv. "I've had it hard. i can't really trust anyone. Everyone leaves me."

I looked down.

"So...after 500 years you finally realize how bad you are?" I said.

"Running, for 500 years? Yeah, it makes you insane."

"Running? From what?" I asked.

"Klaus. Mikaelson. One of the oldest vampires in history of vampires, I guess. They call him and his siblings The Originals."

"Why did he want you?"

"Not important." She said, pushing her pretzels in her mouth. "What's important is how he's ruined my life."

I looked down again. Was she really this innocent? Hm.

"My family was slaughtered." She lost her voice. "Because of him."

"Oh my god." I looked at her. "I'm so sorry."

She wiped small tears away. "Yeah. Well, we all lose the people we love."

"I lost my parents too." I said.

"I know."

Maybe we had more in common than just our taste in men. I wondered what Stefan was doing. Even Damon. Were they listening? I hope not. Damon would lose it if Katherine was being nice.

"How did you die?" I asked. She looked shocked. "Not to be nosy or anything."

"Too late." She said. "While I was running from Klaus, I fell. I found the nearest house. The people there were Rose and Trevor. They gave me vampire blood to heal me."

I was so interested. Her life had more than the Salvatores. And, well, being a brat.

"They walked out. Leaving a rope. I hung myself."

"You KILLED yourself?!"

She nodded.

"Klaus needed my human blood. He couldnt get it if I was a vampire. Dead."

"Smart. But, tragic." I said.

She told me her story for another 30 minutes. It got dark, and I got tired.

"I'm going to sleep." I said.

"Okay. I guess I will too." Katherine said.

I dozed off.

The morning smelled of food. Stefan was probably cooking. I woke up. I was right. Stefan was in the kitchen.

"Hey sleeping beauty." He said. I smiled and got up. He vamp ran to me and kissed me.

"Missed you last night, K."

"I missed you, too." We both smiled.

"Hey Kristen." Damon came down stairs.

"Hi."

"Wow. Your eyes are still in your head. I wouldve pulled mine out if I was stuck with HER for the night."

"You didnt in 1864." Katherine rolled over.

"Yeah. You were likeable then."

"No. Kristen likes me now!" Kat smiled.

The boys looked at me. I shrugged. We ate breakfast together. Didnt really talk much. It was awkward. Katherine ans all.

"I'm going shopping." She said.

No one said goodbye.

"Um. Okay." I said. She walked out.

Once Stefan heard the car start he looked at me.

"You LIKE her?!"

"That's close to impossible with Katherine!" Damon bugged in.

"Guys. She actually is really misunderstood."

"What?" Damon said. "About being a little manipulative bitch? Yeah. She's PLAYING with you Kristen. She'll act like she cares about you and then leaves YOU!" His voice cracked. "She'll leave you for someone better." He looked down.

"Damon." Stefan said. Damon got up and walked upstairs.

"Ex Girlfriend problems?" I asked. Stefan laughed.

The rest of the day was spent cuddling with Stefan in his bed. And maybe some kissing. He was perfect. I never wanted him to leave. I never wanted this moment to leave.

Moment ruined. Yep. Katherine walked in.

"Aw cuddle buddies." She smirked.

We both sat up.

"Kristen we are going to a movie tomorrow. Okay?"

"No." Stefan said.

"Hey, its fine. What movie?"

"Some stupid Twilight? I want to see what lies they have about us in there."

I laughed.

"Okay." I nodded.

Yay. Another day with Katherine. Will it be fun? Hopefully.