10. The Chat

I just smiled at Katherine.

"How about we all go inside." Stefan asked.

Damon had already started walking.

Katherine just gave Stefan a look and turned to walk inside.

Stefan turned me towards him.

"She's....well...Katherine." He said, trying to sound optimistic. I guess there wasnt anything optimistic or good about Katherine, so his goal didnt work.

"I dont think she likes me.."

Stefan rubbed the back of my thigh as he pulled me in.

"It'll be okay. Just smile and try not to look at her devious eyes."

I laughed. "I have the same eyes."

"Yeah, but yours have a beautiful sparkle to them. A sparkle that tells a ton of beautiful stories."

He kissed me.

Katherine must have still been outside because she stomped down on her heel.

She coughed and said, "Alright. I thought we were going inside."

Stefan and I started walking, hand in hand. He gave her a bold, confident face. Showing me off. Great.

She just rolled her eyes and made a gagging noise.

Once we were inside, Damon was already on the couch.

Stefan and I sat on the other couch on the other side of the room. Katherine went to sit down close next to Damon.

"Oh sweetie", Damon said, "no way in hell are you sitting this close to me."

He kicked her away.
I was shocked. Stefan told me extra about Damon and Katherine. He loved her so much. Now, all he did was run away from her like she had fleas. Probably didnt want to ruin his gorgeous, messy dark hair.

"Alright Katherine. Why ARE you here?" Stefan said.

"Not just in Mystic Falls...here in my living room." Damon added, then poured himself his bourbon.

"I came back for you, both of you." Katherine said, in a flirty manner.

Damon nearly choked on his drink.

"Um, Katherine. Your spot is taken," Stefan gestured to me, "sorry."

She looked at Damon.

"Honey, you know thats never going to happen."

She stood up. Her precious curls bounced while she walked to the alcohol booth wearing leather head to toe.

"Fine." She said. "I had a feeling I had to come back. Like a connection", she looked towards me, "maybe it has something to do with you?"

I shrugged. "I didn't do anything."

"Well, you two do look freakishly like a mirror. Except, of course, Kristen is more attractive." Damon said, winking.

Katherine threw a glass at him. He moved before it could hit him.

"Oo, you lost your fire Petrova."

A memory sparked.

"Petrova?" I said.

Katherine nodded.

"Katerina Petrova is my original Bulgarian name."

"I know that name..Petrova. I just don't know where."

All of a sudden Stefan perks up.

"Dopplegangers. You guys are dopplegangers!"

Katherine looked at him like he was a drunk clown.

"Dopplegangers? Really Stef."

He nodded. "Think about it. You both look exactly alike, and you Katherine, had a connection that brought you here."

"There's no way I could be related to HER." I said.

"Watch it boring hair." Katherine said as she twisted one of her curls around her finger.

I thought of how I could be related.

"Well", I said, "I was adopted."

Everyone looked at me.

"Yeah. My parents told me about a year ago. I would ask them but they are on vacation."

"Well that helps." Katherine said.

"I don't know my biological parents. I'm not even sure if they are alive."

Stefan rubbed my back.

We sat there for another hour until it was too late and Stefan had to drive me home.

Once at my house he kissed me goodbye and I spent all night thinking how hard this day has been on me.