Chapter 15 - Human Prey Part 2

Dorian was frequently challenged by other men who were intimidated by his success or popularity. His greatest adversary was Sir Robert Medcalf. The two had become enemies over some imagined slight Dorian had supposedly caused to his unwed sister. The girl had been pretty but hardly special in any way. He had only bedded her a few times but her fiancé had caught wind of it and ended the engagement publicly. Now the girl was disgraced and no other suitable matches could be found.

Sir Robert had become enraged and now made it his mission in life to thwart Dorian in every way possible. He was quite an influential man and unfortunately had the ear of the Duke of Berwick. He used his many connections to try to poison many in society against Dorian by making titles and permits much more difficult to obtain, and the man had even sunk so low as to engage in vexatious litigation in the courts. Dorian was forced to spend a great deal of time and money defending himself against the unfounded allegations. He hated him with a deep passion. Dorian had finally had enough when Sir Robert tried to have him blackballed at yet another club. He vowed to end the man and began formulating a careful plan.

Dorian began to establish trust with his enemy through a series of cryptic letters sent under an assumed name. According to these letters, Dorian was a likeminded gentleman whose sister had also fallen prey the charismatic Dorian Gray. He claimed to desire an alliance with Sir Robert. He suggested that the two pool their resources against their shared enemy and finally bring about a deciding victory against him. Dorian had even gone so far as to provide financial backing for several of Sir Robert's latest endeavors against him. That final gesture had finally convinced Sir Robert to agree to a secretive meeting in an abandoned building near the factory district of Birmingham.

When Sir Robert arrived at the prescribed hour, he found the dilapidated building deserted. There was a letter sitting on a lone barrel of oil in the center of the room. Sir Robert cut open the letter and read it aloud.

My Dear Sir Robert Medcalf,

I am afraid that the allegations against Mr. Dorian Gray regarding your sister are quite true.

Please excuse my inability to meet with you this evening. I am currently occupied in buttering her bun and Mr. Gray and myself are taking turns rogering her at this very moment.

I assure you that trollop's cock alley has become quite well worn.

Your loyal co-conspirator

Mr. Dorian Gray

Sir Robert began cursing and ripped the letter to shreds. He looked up sharply as the only door to the room slammed shut. He ran over just in time to hear a heavy beam fall into place, barring the door.

"Now look here Dorian, this ruse has gone on long enough. I assure you the Duke of Berwick will hear of this outrage. Unbar the door at once!"

However, the only response was the sound of laughter as Dorian kicked over another barrel of oil and dropped a lit torch to the floor. Sir Robert's threats quickly turned into screams as the building was consumed by fire.