13. Ditching

KATIE

It was almost time for classes, and the Ravenclaw demigods were finishing up breakfast. Katie downed a glass of pumpkin juice- which was way better than it sounded- and Miranda ate up the last of her cereal. Annabeth was waiting for them to finish. Across the table was Sammy.

Sammy. Sammy who seemed to try to spend as much time as possible with them despite hardly knowing them. Sammy, who, for some reason, made Katie really uncomfortable.

"...but yeah, the last few years have been really hard. You seriously have never heard about the war? Wow... Anyways, like I was saying, McGonagall's trying to make this year perfect  for us students. She's hosting a dance pretty soon, I think. On Halloween."

The girls exchanged a glance.

"A Halloween dance?"

Before Sammy could respond, Katie felt a hand grasp her shoulder. She jumped, startled, and turned around to see Percy.

"Meeting," he said simply. The other girls turned their attention to him.

"What?" Annabeth asked.

"In the Slytherin common room. Meeting."

Percy started walking away, and she had to run to catch up. The others followed suit, looking as confused as she was.

"Percy, classes are about to start. Why are we meeting now?"

"Katie, you know we aren't here to learn. Come on. Me and the Stolls think it's important."

"We are to here to learn!" Annabeth exclaimed, and Percy chuckled lightly but Katie and Miranda ignored it.

"The Stolls? What happened? What did they do?"

"Nothing. Come on. We might miss class, but I had a hard time finding some of us...it's no big deal. Something happened last night."

Percy was off again.

Katie sighed and turned to look at Sammy. "Sorry, Sammy. We have to go. Tell us about the dance after classes."

Sammy looked disappointed, Katie barely got to see his face fall for a second before she ran off with the others.

*****

"He's half what?"

"You heard me," Travis said.

Katie looked around at the others. They sat gathered in the Slytherin common room, where Connor had greeted them each with a simple " 'sup " and said the password for them to get in.

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Annabeth said. "I don't think this is cause to freak out. Maybe he could be a threat, but who knows. I don't think he's really a half giant."

"Well, we can't trust him."

"Why are we scared of him? We've pulled off beating much worse monsters than half giants..."

"Yeah, but it could mean there's people here working against us..."

"Those ghosts are probably working against us..."

As everybody put in their two cents, Katie felt worthless. She was just sitting there, not sure what to say. She hadn't seen a ghost and she didn't know what to make of the whole "half giant" thing. She was on the side, not involved, just like she always was.

"I saw another ghost. By the woods. So did the Stolls," Percy said. "Guys, we need to start zeroing in on this. All these ghosts, and not knowing who to trust here."

Silence followed. Judging by the perplexed looks on everyone's face, Katie could guess they were all thinking the same thing. They knew they had to start figuring things out, but they weren't sure how. And neither was she.

"I don't trust that Samuel guy either," Katie found herself saying.

"Why not?" Miranda asked.

"There's something about him."

Annabeth nodded. "I've been thinking the same thing. There's something about that guy...I don't know. Percy, you're right. We need to start really acting. We need to start looking for the witches and wizards that seem to be the most powerful. We have to pay attention. We need to start looking for help."

"But what about the ghosts?" Hazel asked. "What do we do about that?"

"I was wondering the same." Frank muttered.

"Is there really much we can do right now?" Leo asked. "We know next to nothing about them. I say we wait until we find our wizard helper dudes and go from there. You know, see if they can help us out with these ghost things."

"But the ghosts might mean someone is working against us," Will said. "We have to act."

"We have to act, but we can't. What can we do?" Leo went on. "I say we don't sweat it now because don't know enough yet. Maybe we will figure it out, but I can't think of a single thing to do right now."

"Whatever," Will sighed. "You're right, but that isn't a good thing, because we do need to do something. Anyway, when we find the wizards, what? Do we give away our identity? And what if they don't trust us then? Heck, what if they aren't even the right ones. Just because they seem powerful doesn't mean crap. I think we have to try to find ones who accept us and wok seem to be willing to be our friends."

"Like Har-" Percy started, but stopped when the entrance to the common room creaked open behind him and a voice interrupted his train of thought.

"There you all are! And even more of you. My fine Slytherin students, who missed my class, and some of their friends...Do come with me, all of you."

It was Snape, and he stood there waiting.

****

So it's been a loooooong ass time since I updated. But I finished the book on TheGothKids that I was working on, so now I'm going to work on finishing this. I was kind of on an unofficial hiatus, which I'm sorry about. But I'm back.

Also, sorry if this chapter sucked.

-Micah