"Yeah," Beca said, "thank you."

They drove to Starbucks and Chloe parked the car. "What do you guys want? I'll go in so you guys can keep the car warm."

"Just a black coffee for me," Beca said.

"Can you get me a peppermint mocha?" Emma asked.

"Yeah sure," Chloe replied. She didn't even realize she had been holding Beca's hand until she squeezed it as if to say 'you'll be ok.'

Beca and Emma sat in silence for a minute or two before Emma glanced up at Beca. "How are you doing? I'm sorry about your mom, by the way."

"Pretty shitty actually," Beca said. "But thanks."

"Why haven't you talked to Chloe? She thinks you're doing ok."

"I don't want her to fall all over herself to try to make me happy, she doesn't deserve that."

"Beca, Chloe's gonna fall all over herself to make you happy whether you say you're sad or not. She knows you're grieving even if you don't say it. You can talk to me if you'd rather."

"It's ok, I'll try to open up to her a little bit more," Beca said.

"Good. Try to not think about it for a little bit, we all want you to have a happy Christmas."

"I really appreciate it," Beca replied. "You guys are like my second family." 

"I'm glad," Emma replied.

Chloe came back out to the car and handed Beca and Emma their coffees. "It's freezing out here."

"It's 40°, that's warm for December," Emma said.

"You're forgetting we live in Atlanta," Beca said with a laugh.

"You're just babies, 40 isn't bad at all," Emma laughed.

"Next year we should host!" Chloe said.

"Definitely," Beca agreed with a laugh.

**********

The girls got home and Chloe set the bags in the kitchen. "Hey Bec, wanna help with the cookies?"

"Do you mind if I go take a little nap? I just really need to clear my head," Beca said.

"Go ahead," Chloe said. "Do you want me to sit with you?"

"No, I really need to be by myself for a little bit," Beca said. "Thank you though."

"Of course, we'll be down here." Chloe said with a smile. She and Emma went to the kitchen and started making the cookies.

"So I'm just gonna be honest with you..." Emma started.

"What's up?"

"You're totally in love with Beca."

"What do you mean?" Chloe asked with a laugh. "She's my best friend."

"You held hands with her the entire way to Starbucks and you've been out of your way so many times to make her feel comfortable," Emma said.

"Because her mom just died," Chloe shrugged.

"Oh come on, you're like this every time you bring her here. You're so in love with her."

"I am not talking about this," Chloe said, rolling her eyes. "You're delusional."

"I'm realistic," Emma shot back.

They finished baking the cookies and Chloe went upstairs to wake up Beca a few minutes before her family was about to arrive. "Hey Bec, my family is gonna be here in a few minutes," she said softly, rubbing the brunette's back.