Happy Christmas

Beca put her phone down and burst into tears. Why did this have to happen the week before Christmas? After a year of fighting cancer, her mom had to pass away December 18th? Beca didn't even realize Chloe had walked into their shared apartment bedroom until the redhead started talking. "I'm testing cookie recipes for next week and I need you to tell me how they taste. I'm not sure about the mocha ones and they need to be-" she paused for a second, realizing the brunette wasn't even looking at her. "Oh my god are you crying? What's wrong?"

"I just got off the phone with my stepdad, and my mom died this morning," Beca said quietly, wiping her eyes.

"Beca, oh my god," Chloe said softly, sitting on Beca's bed and wrapping her in a hug. "I'm so sorry."

"I knew she was close, but I thought she'd have at least another few months," Beca sobbed.

"When is the funeral?" Chloe asked, sitting up and holding the smaller girl's hands.

"It's on Wednesday and it's in Florida, so I'll have to fly down there," Beca said.

"I'll come with you." Chloe gave Beca another hug and held on until the brunette let go. "Do you need anything for now?"

Beca shook her head. "I know we were supposed to go to that movie tonight but-"

"Don't worry about it, you need time and space to grieve, I'm here if you need me, alright?" Chloe said.

Beca nodded. "Thanks Chloe."

"Of course, it's what best friends are for."

**********

The funeral was perhaps the worst day of Beca's life. She had never cried that much, not even when she found out her parents were divorcing. She hated seeming vulnerable, but she admitted it was good for her to have Chloe there with her. That way, she'd have someone to talk to. And she talked and talked about her mom. Chloe never expected her to open up that much but she was more than willing to listen to stories and hold Beca while she cried. It wasn't until they were on the flight home that Beca discovered something really sad. "I don't know who to celebrate Christmas with," she said sadly.

"I do, you're gonna fly home to Vermont with me," Chloe said promptly. Beca had met the Beale family multiple times before and they always welcomed her with open arms.

"No way, I can't ruin your family time," Beca replied.

"I already talked to my parents and they said they'd love to have you," Chloe said. "We'll have to share my bedroom but I really want you there. It'll be a lot of fun, and hopefully it'll get your mind off things."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," Chloe smiled. "You're my best friend in the whole world, you deserve a happy Christmas."

***********

Chloe and Beca walked into the house and Chloe was immediately pulled into a hug by her 14 year old sister. "I thought you were never gonna get here, the boys are being obnoxious and I need some sister time."

"Hey Emma!" Chloe said. "You remember Beca, right?"

"Yeah, hi Beca!" Emma said, smiling at the short brunette.

"Where are Luke and Evan?" Chloe asked, mentioning her little brothers.

The 11 year old and the 8 year old ran into the room almost taking Beca's suitcase out as they did so. "Chloe!" Evan said excitedly.

"Hey bud! How's 3rd grade treating you?" Chloe asked with a smile.

"Good!" He said.

"Luke oh my god you're almost taller than Beca," Chloe said with a laugh.