2

Chris,

      As a child, many people didn't understand how consequences work. You cried when everything fell on you, you felt betrayed, or you were just plain out confused. Like, Why did all of this happen? You know? Growing up, you begin to see that life is a game of UNO. Your actions are the cards you put down, but your consequence will be the player next to you who makes you draw 4. I spent the last year of my life trying to understand these shitty ass cards I've been dealt. I tried to allow myself to except my consequence, but I couldn't. I only managed to realize that consequences never cared for your intentions. Whether I forced myself on my student or not, I still broke the rule of being a teacher. I knew my actions were wrong, otherwise we would'nt have been hiding it like we were. I'm the player with the most cards in my hands. Right now, I can either lead a path straight to victory or give up and lose hope. One thing I do know is, Christopher Maurice Brown never gives up. Never.

      "Congratulations Mr. Brown, you are officially off of probation. I will allow your record to be expunged of the false aligations pertaining to sexual offense of a 19 year old Kamryn Reed. Although, Your teaching certification will still remain terminated due to your violation. You may be dismissed immediately. Please, stay out of trouble and do not let me see you again." the judge said before banging her gavel on the wooden plate. My probation officer gripped my shoulder and gave me a nod of pride.

      "It's all over now, son," he commented. "Let me know if you need anything, you know I'm here for you."

   "Yeah, I know." I chuckled, causing him to join in laughter. Tony and I grew close over the passed year. He wasn't like my P.O. back in NOLA, he cared for my success. Back in NOLA, it's like they prayed for my downfall. I left from there because I felt trapped. Sadly, It's time for me to go back home. Cali ain't give me nothing but bad karma. I close my eyes in relief, inhaling my reality. For the first time in a year, I smile. My pearly whites stretched across my face, allowing me to chuckle lightly. I'm free. Man, I'm finally free.

      "Man, whatcha' trynna do ta'night?" August asked staring at his phone while we sit in the car. My boy Eric is driving us to Carmen's house to drop Aug off and hopefully to see Kam, which I assume he only volunteered because he just bought this 1979 Cadillac Baritz that his buddy Alex repainted for him. I must say, this joker look nice as hell. But, I prefer my Cadys to be its original color. Besides, We all know Alex's paint jobs come weak anyway. He's just the cheapest kid to go to around here. I sink into the white leather seats as I gather my thoughts. Rubbing my face, I lean forward, and rest my elbows on my knees.

      "Aug, you know I'm leaving tonight. I'm going home right after I handle my business." I replied with a stern voice. August looked up from his phone and frowned a little. I sighed and shook my head because I already know what he about to say.

      "No celebration, no nothin'? I can't hang wit ma boy befo' he decide to leave a nigga hangin'? Wow.." He said with a pinch of pain. With a nod of his head, he plugged his eyes back to his Samsung Galaxy SV with the cracked screen. I wish he'd just get that fixed. I told him my brother's girlfriend, Shawny, can fix it for free. But, he waited until she went to prison last month to want her to fix it. Always late on something. He just never liked listening to my suggestions, anyway. I removed my eyes away from him and out the car window. I wasn't ready for this conversation, because we both know that I've been avoiding it. August and I have been best friends longer than I've known my own pops. Him and I moved out here to L.A. together and here I am, attempting to leave without even having to say goodbye.

      "Don't think of it like that-"

      "Like what?" he cut me off. "Like ya not bouta leave without even acknowledging da fact dat we brothas? Like ya didn't care dat I don' wantcha ta go? or don' think of it like ya haven't forgotten who I am, what I did, or what I do for you? As if ya not the only fuckin' fam I have." He argued with a strong NOLA accent that seems to get that way when he's upset. I grew speechless and let out a deep breath. He has a valid point, I can't argue with that at all. But, I still have to go.