Chapter 23

Tylee flips on the light in the barn and grabs a halter from the wooden pegs. Stepping into the 20 foot by 20 foot stall she coos to her mare, "Morning Wind, you look much better than yesterday." The horse nickers softly and blows warm air at Tylee's face. She giggles and wraps the lead rope around the thick muscled neck.

"Sweet girl, you have to let me have your foot," she coos gently tapping Willow Wind's leg just above the hoof. The mare reluctantly takes the weight off the leg and lifts it into Tylee's hands. A smile spreads across her face as she gazes over the healing progress. "It looks like your hoof is really getting tough again. That is a good thing." She sets the leg back on the rubber covered cement. "And you are staying hydrated."

She grabs the brush and begins to brush the buckskin coat. When the hair gleams in the light she smiles in satisfactory and places the brush in the tack room. "Okay, Wind, lets get you a chip of hay and put you back in the pen."

Once Willow Wind is settled Tylee begins feeding the others. As she places the last bucket back into the bin the sound of Dan's pickup meets her ears. She smiles and steps out of the barn as she closes the door she is swept off of the ground. She shrieks, "Dan, I am trying to close the door!"

"I'm just helping you." He laughs setting her back on the ground and taking her hand in his.

She smiles and stretches to reach his lips with hers. "Sure you are, Teddy Bear," she mutters as they start towards the house. He holds the back door open for her as they enter.

"What am I making for breakfast?" He asks hanging his hat and coat beside hers.

She shrugs, "I don't know, but it needs to be quick since we have to go to town. I am going to get lazy butt up."

His laughter follows her up the stairs and as she walks down the hall. This should be fun! She knocks lightly on the door before cracking it open. Still sleeping as always. A smirk slipping to her face she grabs the cup of water sitting on the desk and tiptoes to the side of the bed. Stifling her giggles she tips the glass slowly until the contents spill out in a gush.

Brandon springs out of the bed and turns to stare at her with his own smirk. "Wrong move, Cus."

She giggles and sprints past him her boots making it known she is going down the stairs. She glances over her shoulder and shrieks as she notices that he is right on her tail. As soon as she hits the floor she runs into the kitchen and behind Dan.

Brandon stops and doubles over in laughter. "Really? Hide behind the boyfriend?"

"Just go get dressed so that by the time lunch comes we will be in town."

***
Dan's heat rate picks up and his palms become sweaty the closer they get to town. What if she refuses to stay with Becca? He suddenly sucks in a breath and mentally slaps himself. What size of ring is she? He takes a deep breath trying to control his racing heart. What good is it going to do me to look at rings if I don't know what size?! How am I going to get past her a second time?

"You okay, Teddy Bear?" Tylee whispers her hand resting on his arm.

He glances at her sitting in the middle seat, as usual, and smiles. "Your sitting next to me, why wouldn't I be?"

She smiles and lays her head on his shoulder. "You are so sweet, Teddy Bear. I love you."

Thank goodness she isn't a pushy women or I would be dead meat. "I love you too, Fawn." He smiles and kisses the top of her head. What am I going to tell her I have to get?

He pulls into the tiny car rental place and cuts the engine. Come on, Dan, get yourself together before you blow the whole thing. He wraps his arm around Tylee's waist as they walk in with Brandon following behind.

"What kind of vehicle should I get?" Brandon asks breaking the silence.

Tylee smiles and scans over the available cars, pickups and SUVs. A tan 2009 Doge Ram catches her eye. Too bad I don't need another pickup, because this on is really nice. Tylee, get your head on straight! You don't need another pickup besides the fact that these aren't for sale. Putting the thought away she turns back to her cousin. "What are you getting?"

He smiles. "You think mom would guess it's me if I pull up in a little bitty car?"

"You wouldn't."

He nods. "I'll take the Volkswagen Beetle," he announces a satisfied smirk spreading across his lips.

Rolling her eyes she looks up at Dan. He is chuckling as he watches the two of them. He meets her gaze the twinkle in his eye shining bright. She shakes her head before laying it on his shoulder. They watch as Brandon works out all the details and then jogs up to them dangling keys from his hand.

"I am going to die laughing when I see mom's face," he says laughing as they go to grab his bags from Tylee's pickup.

She sighs and throws the bag she has at him. "You better not mention me until she is cooking you extra brownies."

"Chill out, Cus, she won't be mad at you. I'm the one that decided to see you first." He picks up the bag that is laying at his feet and carries it to his temporary ride with Dan following behind.

Dan sets the bag in the backseat, "So what is the whole thing about your mom and Tylee?"

Brandon sighs, "By that question I see she hasn't told you. She doesn't talk about it because she feels like it is her fault. Anyway, my mom doesn't like Tylee that much because mom is the oldest and she thought that she should get the ranch, but she didn't know the first thing about it or have interest in it. Mom never liked it when Tylee and I played and stuff, but Papaw kept a fight from happening."

Why wouldn't she tell me that? Duh, Dan, she doesn't like thinking about the bad times. "I guess that makes sense."

"Not really, because mom didn't want the ranch anyway she just didn't want Tylee to have it," Brandon tells him shutting the door to the car and clapping Dan's back.

Dan nods, but can't understand why people, especially family, would be like that. "Well your mom should take a look at the ranch now it looks the best in the country."

"Are you kidding? With the updated technology she has on it now it looks better than when Papaw had it, but it still has the same home run feel."

"I would have loved to meet the man, he sounds like a very kind and hard working man," Dan pauses, "I hope I can live up to be half the man he was."

Brandon smiles. "If my thoughts are worth anything, you are already more than half the man he was."

Tylee leans against the bed of her pickup gazing at her cousin and boyfriend as they carry on a conversation. What could they possibly be talking about that would take this long? She slips her phone from her pocket and pulls up her messages. Her heart flutters fast as she reads the endearing texts Dan has sent her over the past few days. Lost in her dream land of texts she fails to notice the approaching figure that wears a smug grin.