Season 4 Episode 1 Welcome Back... Now Don't Get Too Comfy

Yay! Season 4 of Dance Moms has officially started! It felt so good to sit down and watch a brand new episode, even though it was little weird seeing as it was on Wednesday. Either way, I’m beyond ecstatic. So, lets get to the recap!

Abby starts the episode out with a typical pyramid. As all of the kids lined up for pyramid I noticed that Paige and Chloe were wearing matching dancewear. Before she gets started with the actual pyramid Abby announces that she’s going to scouting for new talent to join the team. She says that they’re “replacements”, but we all know that no one on that team is actually going to be replaced unless they leave or they’re name is Payton. Yep, Abby wasn’t kidding when she told Payton that she was an official member of the team last episode. Something tells me she won’t be a “permanent” member for long.

Christi feels weird entering the studio after Chloe and herself were asked to leave Nationals, because of a little brawl between Christi and Leslie. She also promised that she was going to try to stay out of the momma drama and really focus on Chloe’s dancing. This definitely brought a smile to my face because I really do want Chloe to excel this year, especially with this new girl coming in. I know that Christi is the drama of Dance Moms, so I know that she will be involved in a few arguments here and there, but for the most part I hope she stays out of it all, or at least tries not to take it too far, like the fight at Nationals.   

When Abby unveiled the first name on the pyramid it was Chloe, which I was kind of expecting. Chloe immediately apologized for what happened at Nationals and for disappointing Abby, as well as promises Abby that she will be working hard and really pushing herself this season. I think this pleased Abby, but not to the point where she would actually show her emotions.

Next on the pyramid was Payton, for the same reasons, as Chloe. Christi was a little annoyed that Payton was higher than Chloe, but what did you expect?

Nia was next and Holly seemed utterly shocked. I wouldn’t have understood why unless I watched the “Smoke Before The Fire” pre-episode that played right before the actual first episode. A part of it explained something that happened in between seasons. Apparently, Nia was present for every day of Booty Camp, which was basically a master class/dance camp that Abby hosted. She also scheduled a lot of privates with Abby to really improve herself for the next season. Abby doesn’t give a reason for Nia being where she was. She just says, “I’ll get back to you.”  

Brooke was the last girl on the bottom row, Paige was next, now in the middle row, and Mackenzie was after Paige. Abby told Mackenzie that if Asia were to do her Nationals solo Asia would’ve won 1st, instead of 2nd, like Mackenzie.

Second on the pyramid was Kendall, because of her 2nd place National placing, which was a big accomplishment for her. (She’s nipping right at Maddie’s heels) However, Abby announces that there’s a mistake on the pyramid and proceeds to switch Nia and Kendall’s places on the pyramid. Apparently, Kendall missed all 5 days of Booty Camp, which was mandatory, to go on vacation with her family. I have no problem with missing a dance class, or two, to go on a family vacation, but it was kind of poor planning on their part. Jill has known about this mandatory Booty Camp for 6 months. Come on Jill! However, Jill believes that despite missing Booty Camp, Kendall should still be second because of her placing at Nationals.  I think Nia did deserve to be placed higher. It’s not just what happens on stage that matters. The work that you put in when the cameras aren’t rolling is as important, or even more important, then how well you place in competitions. Again, Jill strongly disagrees and tries to throw Nia and Holly under the bus. I’m really not liking Jill in this episode and from now on every time Jill does something stupid I’m going to respond by saying, “Come on Jill!” Even though Nia did deserve to be up there I don’t like how Abby handled everything. I felt terrible for Kendall, who was so happy to place so high on the pyramid, only to be ripped off and placed back on the bottom again. I saw her fighting back tears and it broke my heart.