Ch 2: Best Friends

Lucifer POV:

"There you are Thanatos!"

The pale angel looked up at me from where he sat with his book.

He nodded once in greeting and I flopped down next to him, "I want to show you earth when you're done there."

"...why?"

"Its changed. there is plant life spawning and creatures are beginning to surface. they are tiny but they are there."

He looked up to me, "fathers new children?"

I shook my head, "I don't think so. I think we have to wait longer to see them."

He looked to his hands, larger than before but like the rest of us he was not fully grown.

"father says we will be fully grown before we are given our duties Thanatos do not fret."

"...600 years."

I sighed, "it has been 600 years since we first laid eyes on fathers Earth creation but do not fret, these years they go by as if they were days now do they not?"

"..they do."

"then for all we know it could be a blink of an eye before we are grown and ready to fulfill our duties."

He nodded once, returning to his book.

I looked to my own hands wondering if I should tell him that i too get anxious at times and hidden behind one of my few furnishings at home there is a series of marks I made in the wood so I may see myself grow. So maybe I will be aware at what fully grown means for father did not give explanation on this.

I had confidence he would though. Father would not leave us to wonder.

"I saw Gabriel today."

Than glanced at me again, "..is he well?"

"He complained of his boredom having only the angels to practice his messaging on for now."

"...oh."

I looked to the starry sky, wondering if I should count them again. Father prefers I stay aware of my surroundings and will ask me sometimes how many stars in this sky Lucifer? he tells me he is proud when I have the answer. "I gave him my blessed arrow so he may practice with it."

"..did father not give that to you?"

"I have no use for something that will potentially hurt another, I prefer to aid and this will aid Gabriel, he feels as if he is no help so this may district him."

Thanatos simply nodded.

"You feel the same as Gabriel do you not Thanatos?"

Another small nod.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him up, "well come on then brother, I will show you what is new with earth."

He followed me through the square, trusting me to guid him as he continued to read his book with one hand, the other in mine as I pulled him along.

~~

"See, its lush is it not?"

We stared down at the landscape of earth, an evergreen paradise father calls it.

Thanatos set his book down upon the dewy grass, "it is.."

"Look there," I brought the image closer in the gazing pools, "there do you see those creatures?"

He nodded, watching the scaled beasts, "...what are they."

"I have absolutely no idea. But if they are part of earth they are part of our duties so we shall watch over them until we are given out duty."

A small smile curled upon his lips, "...did father tell you to do this?"

I grinned at him, "no but I thought we might like the task."

I sank into the grass next to him, slinging a thin arm over his shoulder.

He glanced at me.

"One day, you and I will have a great responsibility for this earth place. We will work side by side as brothers and best friends."

"Best friends?"

"Thats what father calls us. He says it will be a common thing among humans and a bit more rare for angels."

"...but what are they?"

I smiled a bit wider, "two people who are closer to one another than they are to others. People who we prefer to spend out time with above all else, the people we trust most. I think we are than brothers I like to think we are best friends."

Thanatos granted me on of his rare full smiles, "...I consider you my best friend as well Lucifer."

I ruffled his hair, laughing at his slight scowl, I think Thanatos and I will be these friends for a long time.

Perhaps forever.