Daryl's Ending

Stepping the final steps home, I see Daryl, Glenn, and Maggie packing up for a run

Looking in Daryl's direction I let my eyes linger on him as I admire him after a long time of separation. My heart felt at peace at once. Then, after I snap myself out of my trance, I move to climb over the fence. It is of course not as if I had never done it before. Some of the barbed wire had been previously cut from the last time I had to initiate an emergency climb.

Getting to the top of the fence, I swing my legs over and jump down with a graceful impact on the ground. The noise attracted the trio's attention quickly. I watched their heads turn and their facial expressions turn into absolute surprise. Maggie and Glenn's eyes looked to Daryl a few seconds later. He was still in a lot of disbelief of my return. We gently stared at one another.

"We're gonna go and get Rick and Hershel. Oh, and welcome back, (Y/N).", Glenn announced as he took Maggie's hand and started jogging back to the gardens.

Daryl and I stood in a few more moments of silence before he spoke carefully.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah, Daryl?"

"You're back?"

"Yeah. I am. I'm sorry I left in the first place."

"Why'd ya leave? Did somethin' happen?"

"Yes. Something big happened and I was afraid. So I left."

Daryl momentarily showed hurt in his eyes, then said, "You could have talked to me about it. I would've helped ya. Then you wouldn't have to had left." I shook my head in response. I looked dead in his eyes once more.

"Daryl, I couldn't come to you. Because the issue was- and still is -about you. So I couldn't go to you."

"Whatd'ya mean 'me'? You left because of me?"

"No. I - just - it...... *sigh* Daryl, I love you. I thought that you would never return my feelings. So I left to try and rid myself of them. But, even after six months, they are still there."

I hung my head waiting for his next comment. But after a minute of waiting, there was none. The awkward silence was almost unbearable. Until I felt arms wrapping around me and someone's cheek pressing against my forehead. Knowing who it was, I wrap my arms around his torso and rest my head in the crook of his neck.

"All you had to do was tell me, sweetheart. There was no need to leave.", Daryl whispered gently into my ear. This being his own way of saying 'I love you, too', I smiled. Once more, I use my telepathy and say in his head, 'I love you, my soulmate.' I could feel his smile forming. He tilted my head up and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

In the distance, we heard Rick and Hershel conversing loudly. Daryl grabbed my bag and my hand and took me to my old cell to help me unpack. I was home again.

I was back and better than ever.