The Return

Hello all!  So, as you may have noticed, my chapters have been getting a little more rushed and unpolished as of late.  That's because I'm beginning to get really frustrated with this draft.  The plot isn't working out how I wanted it to (or at least I don't think it is), but it's just good enough that I don't want to scrap it.  So, to combat the issue, I'm going to finish this first draft as messily as I like and let the plot play out in much simpler terms.  Then, I'll start editing it and try to fix many of the issues (since I like editing the most anyway).  Thanks for sticking with me!

-Rose

The ceilings drummed with rain. Alkanion paced back and forth in his room, waiting for a servant to arrive with news. It was three days past the time when Co was meant to return, and no one seemed to know why he was late. Had the carriage been held up by robbers? Did the war delay them more than expected? Had Alkanion sent for him too late?

Alkanion took a deep breath. It wouldn't do to worry.

Maraleine had made it a few days before and reported that they hadn't encountered anyone on their trip. No one from Maranthall had made it far enough to catch up to them in the chaos that surely followed their exit. Was that supposed to be comforting? It just made Alkanion uneasy.

Brevenion had posted the draft announcement a few weeks before, and, as expected, the people were not happy. The first day, protesters lined up outside the castle, down the streets, and almost to the city gate for a chance to voice their vehement concerns. Alkanion had vaguely responded to a few of them, but within an hour he began to get fidgety, thinking of all the planning he had to do for battle. He'd closed the doors after that and left the citizens to their anxiety.

Some of the men had already signed up for the draft, and they lacked only a general to guide them. That was the other reason Alkanion needed Co to return as quickly as possible, besides his budding concern. Until his most trusted friend returned, Alkanion had no way of training his soldiers—unless he were to appoint someone else, which he was loath to do. It would only undermine Co's authority when he finally showed up.

There was a knock on his door. He rushed over and pulled it open. "What?" he asked, far too loud to keep up his appearance as an impassive ruler. The servant at the door stared wide-eyed at him.

"U-uh... Master Brevenion would like to see you, my king," he mumbled, staring at the floor.

Alkanion growled under his breath. "Thank you," he said curtly. "Tell him I'll be there when I can."

"H-he said it's urgent..."

All the blood drained from Alkanion's face. "Where is he?"

"In the front hall."

Alkanion was out the door and down the hall before the boy had a chance to say another word. Urgent was not good. Urgent was very bad.

He barged into the front hall just minutes later, glancing around wildly for his advisor. He found him by a statue of Malinor, talking with a man whose back was to Alkanion. He seemed completely at ease.

Forcing himself to regain his composure, Alkanion smoothed the front of his shirt and glided down the stairs. He approached Brevenion as quickly as he could.

"You said it was urgent," he said in lieu of a greeting.

"Ah, yes, Alkanion! How lovely of you to join us," Brevenion replied, watching Alkanion stroll up.

"Don't smile at me; just tell me what's going on." The man Brevenion was speaking with didn't turn to face him as he spoke. Very rude to Ithwon's king.