thirteen - sorry

A/N: how are yall? my life has been great lately tbh, merry Christmas btw, ily

Lois became even more confused as they stared back at her. Each of their faces were painfully familiar, but just out of reach. In her mind she searched for her memories. She knew all about peculiarity and monsters and what not, but these people she couldn't put a finger on.

"Uh, well, your name is Lois. You seem to have lost your memory," the girl beside the bed she sat on said. She had dark hair and pale skin with green eyes that looked like they glowed. She wore big gloves on her hands and fear in her eyes.

Lois looked subconsciously around at them all. She stared at her lap and gulped.

"What do you remember?" said a blonde haired boy with brown eyes.

"Uh, all about peculiarity. All of you seem familiar, but like I can't really put my finger on who you are," she said. A grim look swept their faces. "I'm sorry," she added weakly. The truth was, she wanted to remember. She wanted to know who she was and who her friends were. She didn't like how lonely she felt.

"It's not your fault. I'm Lawson, by the way. I guess after we tell the ymbryne what happened we'll catch you up on the basics. I, uh, was your best friend," Lawson said, tugging at the ends of her messy lengths of wavy black hair. She spoke softly and comfortingly and Lois didn't doubt or a second they'd been best friends. Lois just nodded.

"I'll tell Addison," the blonde haired boy spoke up, walking out.

"Well, me and Enoch can stay. Maybe the rest of you should go. You probably feel kind of overwhelmed with all these people," she laughed a short and weak laugh. She gestured to a boy with messy black hair. Lawson and him looked like they could be siblings.

Lois drew her feet up and sat cross legged on the bed. Lawson sat on the edge beside her and Enoch pulled up a chair. The rest of the kids filed out.

"This is Enoch O'Connor and I'm Lawson Harper. I'd like to say we were your best friends. Well, you remember everything about peculiarity?" Lawson asked.

"Yeah. Peculiars and loops and monsters. All of it," she said.

"Me and you, we left our home together because we were peculiar and wanted to find others. Your parents had died and your step mother was always drunk, so we left. A wight had captured us but Miss Owl saved us, led us back to her loop. We lived there for quite a while," Enoch said, gesturing for Lawson to take it from there. His voice sounded like every word cut him up as they left his lips.

"We lived happily for a while, but then our ymbryne got stuck in bird form, so we left to Miss Myna's loop so we didn't age forward. She sent us here, but the loop's entrance is a rock you have to climb. You slipped and hit your head, and that brings us here," she finished.

"I-I'm sorry," Lois said and her voice broke. Lawson reached out a gloved hand and put it softly on her shoulder.

"Lois, this is not your fault. This won't ever be your fault. Miss Wren will probably have something for you to heal up your memory at least a bit," Lawson said in a mellifluous tone. Lois just nodded. All she did was nod because she knew of nothing to possible say. Here she was, with two best friends she failed to remember and she felt like it was all her fault.

The boy, Enoch, touched her hand in a consoling movement and it sent shocks up her arm. His hand was warm and Lois didn't understand why it made her blush or why she had to fight back a smile. Enoch seemed nice. He was cute. Maybe they'd been more than just friends back when she had her memory.

"We'll get you some food then," Lawson said, getting up and straightening her gloves.

---

"Hello Lois. I'm Miss Wren. I have a few things that may be able to cure your memory," an elderly woman said, sweeping grey hair that had fallen from her loose bun behind her ear. Lois nodded.

The ymbryne gave her a few horrible tasting medicines that Lois struggled to get down her throat. Nothing came back to her.

"Well, maybe it will return with time," Lawson said, her voice barely hanging from ropes of false hope above a pit of reality. Miss Wren looked around at the 3 of them in the cabin, said goodbye, and flew away once more.

Lawson sat up, making her way to the door. "I'm gonna check up on the others," she lingered at the doorway for a moment before shaking her head and slipping off.

Enoch sat their quietly. Lois felt bad for them even if she was aware of the fact it was not her fault. Somebody called Enoch's name from outside. He said goodbye and walked off sheepishly.

Lois looked around. The cabin was small. There was the bed she sat on, a few chairs, a desk, and a bookshelf. Lois rose slowly, wincing at the pain pulsing in her head and made her way across the wood floor to the bookshelf, she read the titles, trailing her finger along the spine and giving a half smile. She remembered she did like books. She grabbed Tales of the Peculiar and slowly traipsed back to the bed. She sat down, back against the pillow, and flipped open the dusty, worn out, hardback cover and delved into a world of words, pages, and peculiarity. She wiped all thoughts of guilt and how she felt sorry, like this was her fault, out of her head, and began to read.