three - at peace

wow i've gotten a lot more views than i'm used to.

LOIS TRIED TO push away all the fear that crept in to her stomach. She hadn't ever left this small inland town. Where would she go first? She tried to bite down the anxiety that always came along with her grief. He was gone, really, actually gone. Forever. Lois didn't know how to cope with this. A rain cloud felt like it had pinned itself over her brown hair and she didn't have a weatherman to tell her when it would run out of rain. Her father had always been there. He helped with homework and comforted her when she had nightmares. And she lost him. Lois had nothing to leave behind. So she left for the funeral home with a backpack of her needed possessions.

Enoch was standing there looking around nervously when she arrived. Enoch tried to talk to her but quickly thought better of it.

"So, uh where to first?"

"Just follow me."

"Right." He just new better than to try to talk to her, given the recent loss of her father.

Lois had always had an odd sense of direction. She had a compass an a map with her as well and a lot of money which Enoch wasn't sure how she got. They stopped to camp in a forest near a small stream which calmed Lois's nerves. She had a feeling where she would find people like them.

Enoch and Lois hadn't talked much. Lois was trying not to let her thoughts get the better of her and Enoch just seemed kind of distant and quiet. When he did have something to say, it was a snarky comment about how she did something wrong. Lois was beginning to think she should've gone alone. It was to late now.

2 weeks later

Lois had twisted her ankle a day prior and was hobbling along with Enoch holding her up. They were stopping at a diner to rest and eat with the money they had before setting off again. The pair hobbled unceremoniously into the quaint little diner and sat across from each other at a booth.

The duration of the past week had been filled with forests and alleyways and dirt roads. They tried to stay out of the way of big businesses or cities in fear of harm.

Meanwhile, Lois had seem Enoch's ability in small ways. He would lift up a dead mouse and soon enough the ball of fur would scamper away, full of life as it once had been.

Enoch got up to get them food while Lois slumped in her chair and looked around. She gazed around at the other people there and quickly averted her eyes after seeing a man with dark sunglasses staring at her. She shifted and moved toward the wall and waited for Enoch to come back.

Enoch. Lois shifted her blue eyes to him. He had twigs in his hair and dirt all over him but he still managed to look pretty. Lois had grown fond of him over the past while. He still tried to act snarky and like he didn't care, but deep down Lois knew he did. So Lois couldn't really help but stare at him in a silence of her own. Even if it wasn't silent. There was talking and laughter and chairs scratching the ground and people cooking and taking orders. It wasn't silent but to Lois it was because Enoch made her forget everything that distracted her.

Lois whipped her head to look out the window towards the dark street when Enoch turned around. Enoch sat down with the food and Lois quietly tried to tell him about the man with the heavy black sunglasses staring at them. Enoch didn't seem to think to much of it and continued to eat but Lois could still see the mysterious man's tan skin and black clothing and even though she couldn't see his eyes, they seemed to bore into the side of her head. But he never talked to them or got up or approached them. So they ate in hopeful, slightly fake, peace and got up to leave.

Lois and Enoch stayed on the main road and decided that if somebody were to come, they'd hide in the trees until they've gone. So twi's feet  made footprints in the dirt road and their hair was blown around in the wind as they strolled in temporary peace. Lois, for the first in a long time, felt content. Because Enoch was here and she had a full stomach and the wind blew her thin hair back as she walked and the streetlights were lighting up her path and for a long time, she'd had no idea where to go.  And for once she felt at peace.