Benji

Haley stared at me blankly with her lifeless eyes.

“Haley?” I asked with worry as I stepped towards her. “Haley, what’s wrong?”

“It’s all your fault,” she rasped. “I’d still be alive if it weren’t for you.”

“Haley…” I began.

“It’s your fault.” She repeated. “You killed me.”

I woke with a start, the reoccurring dream still shaking me to my core. I rolled over onto my stomach, burying my face in the pillow. That’s when I realized I was on a bed. And I could move my hands. I gasped, sitting up and putting the dream from my mind as I stared at my free hands. I glanced around the room, hoping to see familiar posters, but I wasn’t in my room. It was bare, with hardly anything on the walls except a couple pictures. The blankets were a dark blue, and there were two doors off to the right of the bed. One was on the same wall and the other on the adjacent one.

Suddenly that door opened, revealing a frustrated Korbin. He groaned to himself, running his hands through his hair as he closed the door with his foot. His eyes trained on me and a smile fixed on his lips. “Hey, you’re awake.”

“Really?” I asked sarcastically, my voice groggy. “Never would’ve noticed.”

To my surprise, he laughed at my grumpiness and came to sit on the bed next to me. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” I admitted. “And my head is pounding.”

In truth, every part of my body hurt, but I was never one to complain—especially not to or about Matthew. I was too strong for that.

He reached his hand out to touch me and then pulled back hesitantly. “I could get you some Tylenol.”

“Alright,” I agreed a little too eagerly. “Do you have any clothes I could change into? I’ve been wearing these for I don’t know how long.”

His smile returned and he nodded. “There’s a bathroom right over there where you can shower if you want, and I’ll get some clothes and Tylenol.”

I glanced towards the door that he gestured to. “Are you implying that I stink?”

He paled and his expression turned frightened. “Uh—no, no. I just thought… you might…”

“Thanks,” I replied, rubbing my wrists.

“Don’t mention it,” he nodded, getting up and heading for the dresser across from the bed with a tiny TV on it. I got up after him, but instead slipped inside the bathroom and ran the water. Just as I was washing my hair, I realized with a groan that I had no mousse, and my hair would frizz wildly without it. When I got out from the heavenly shower, I put my hair up in a bun and wrapped a towel around myself. A sweatshirt and a pair of pajama pants lay on the counter with a glass of water and pills. I blinked, blushing profusely. He must’ve sneaked in here while I was in the shower. I put on the clothes nonetheless, relishing in the clean feeling. I swallowed the medicine before exiting the bathroom.

Korbin lay sprawled out on the bed with his hands behind his head, his eyes closed, and his mouth agape. I marveled at him without my permission, especially at his bare chest that was half hidden underneath the covers. The TV was on, showing a football game between two colleges. A bit of his abs poked out above the covers, making my own stomach tighten. I had never seen a boy with suck looks… even Bryce couldn’t compare to him.

Bryce. I scowled and pushed him from my mind as the heartbreak returned. Korbin’s eyes fluttered open, and he smirked when he saw me. “Hey,” he said, his voice husky.