Level 8 ✦ Mr. Douchebag Is What?!

Start from the beginning

"I think he's helping Beatrice with something."

"Oh, I see..." We lapsed into an awkward silence. Esmond was the first to break us out of it, "Do you play a sport?"

I shook my head. "I hate sports." When I saw the frown on his face, I quickly added, "Not that I'm saying sports suck or anything. They just don't appeal to me."

"Oh, I wasn't offended or anything," Esmond said, awkwardly.

I bit my lower lip. Gosh, just great. I'm making him awkward now.

"So uh..." I said, racking my brain for something to say.

"'So uh' what?" Esmond asked, a small smile playing on the edge of lips.

I blushed. "Nothing. I'm just socially awkward, in case you haven't noticed." Son of a bitch. Why did I just say that? What if socially awkward girls turn him off? Wait, did I seriously just imply the fact that I wanted him to be turned on by me? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, it'd be great but...

Esmond laughed. "It's fine. I'm pretty socially awkward myself at times, too."

"Seriously?" I looked at him dumfounded. Esmond? Socially awkward?

Impossible.

"Depends on the situation," he said, shrugging. He lifted a hand up to sweep away some of the brown hair that had fallen over his eyes.

Oh my god, this has got to be illegal. Too...hot...

I'm literally sweating beneath this sweater I'm wearing. Calm your hormones, Bridget; calm your hormones...

"Are you okay?" Esmond asked, cocking an eyebrow in amusement.

No! I think I'm drowning in your gorgeousness, I thought. Of course, I didn't say that (it would have been tremendously embarrassing if I had, though). Instead, I said, "Y-yeah. Just feeling a bit warm here."

"Do you want to go outside? I was supposed to help Maryland move in some supplies from the truck outside, anyway. We can go together." He stood up and offered me his hand.

I almost had a heart attack.

I slipped my shaking hand into his outstretched one and he helped pull me up. I felt lightheaded. I think this is the first time that Esmond and I have ever talked for more than fifteen minutes (and yes, I have been counting).

"So uh, what do you want to study?" I blurted, in an attempt to cover up my awkwardness. I already knew it, thanks to my awesome stalking skills, but I needed a conversation starter.

"Pediatrics," he said, immediately.

"Wow." I looked at him dreamily. I love it. Hot and smart.

"What about you? Anything that interests you? You're a senior in high school, right?" He pushed open the door that led out to the back of the store and held it open for me.

I shook my head. "Not at the moment. I was thinking bioengineering or maybe video game design."

"So you are a gamer!" he said, smiling goofily at me.

I blushed. "I never denied it," I mumbled, embarrassingly.

"I know. But I just felt like saying that with great enthusiasm."

I laughed. "I can tell." I stepped outside of the building and immediately, a blast of cold air hit my face. It was supposed to be forty-eight degrees today, the coldest day so far this November.

I shivered against the cold.

"Cold?" Esmond asked.

I shook my head. "No," I lied.