Level 1 ✧ Weird Friends

Our story started with a gaming session. My friends and I were crowded around my TV set in the living room, controllers in hand as we stared robotically at the TV screen.

"And I beat you again...sucker," I stated, proudly. I gave my friend a smug look and twirled a lock of my short blonde around my index finger.

"Shut up, Bridget," Hudson mumbled, as he threw down his Xbox controller. "You know I don't play Battle Ground much."

"Such lies," Gavin said, rolling his eyes. "You've been playing this game for the past two years now—how does that constitute as 'not playing much?'"

Hudson blushed. "I only play it whenever Bridget asks me to," he replied, hotly.

"Uh-huh, so please explain to me why you have all of the Battle Ground games at home?" I asked, smirking. There's a total of five games in the Battle Ground franchise. The first two are based on real-life wars, the others fictional. The fourth and fifth games have a sci-fi twist to it, while the third is just a fictional war based in Europe. We like the third one, and that's the one we play the most—along with most other Battle Ground fans. In fact, it's the one that gets used in competitions the most. The company who made the game redefined the multiplayer experience with it; no longer were you stuck in teams of 16; now it was teams of 64, making it a total of 128 players in a map! Also, the physics of the game and the visuals were just incredible. It's almost as if you were participating in an actual war.

Hudson glared at me. "If you don't recall, you were the one who forced me to buy them all so I could play with you. I'm three seconds away from burning all of your videogames," he threatened.

I fake gasped. "You wouldn't!" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Just watch me," he said, as a huge smirk tugged on those thin lips of his.

"I really hate you, Hudson, I hope you know that."

"And right back at ya." Hudson winked at me through his glasses. His stupid, overly-sized blue glasses.

I chucked my controller at him.

"Hey!" He winced as the controller collided with his shin. "That was not cool, Bridget!"

"And threatening to burn my life is not cool, either," I retorted.

Gavin burst out laughing. "Oh my god, Bridget. Your life?" Gavin doubled over on the couch, clutching his stomach, his face turning red.

"Alright, for your information, that may have been a slight exaggeration... But you know how much I prize my videogames, Milton!"

Milton is Gavin's last name and sometimes, to catch his attention and make a point to him, I'll call him that instead of his first name.

"But still, you're a girl. Can't you find something better to—Bridget!" Gavin gasped, when his face met the throw pillow in my hands.

"Stereotype me again and it'll be my fist the next time," I hissed.

"Is it just me, or is Bridget being especially feisty this afternoon?" Hudson asked, amusingly, as he scratched the back of his head. His light blonde hair fell loosely over his oceanic blue eyes as he tilted his head up slightly towards me. He smirked.

"Esmond probably winked at her or something today," Gavin mused.

I felt my cheeks flame at the mention of "The Guy."

"Gavin!" I snapped. "How could you even think that?!" I lifted the pillow in my hands, about to smack him again, when I suddenly felt it being ripped away from me.