Chapter 44

"Early this morning, three bodies were found on the newest Pope Industries construction site. So far Oakland detectives, who are on the case, have few leads. If you have any information, please contact Oakland police department."

Julia didn't look up from her desk as the news anchor prattled on with the violence that had occurred overnight. She held Mila in her left arm as she skimmed through the work orders for the bakery repairs and waited for Mickelson to return with their coffee.

"The bodies were found," he announced as he entered her office without knocking. "No word on the property damage though."

"That's minor," she sighed. "Thanks," Julia mumbled as she reached for her coffee. "How long do you think till Jax comes storming in here?"

Mickelson shrugged, a devious smile on his face, and glanced back over his shoulder. "I dunno but he's gonna be pissed."

"He should have told me," she huffed. "And he should have done something."

"I'm not saying you're wrong," he said quickly.

"Is there a but there?" Julia glanced in his direction. "Spit it out."

"You guys are together, you got a kid, maybe you should talk to him," he said hesitantly. "Don't get it wrong, I love this shit, but you know for you and the kid, it probably ain't great."

Julia nodded, "Yeah. I'm being petty, I know."

"Dead bodies ain't really petty," Mickelson laughed.

"You know what I mean, I'm being petty by not telling him cause he kept shit from me," she sighed. "He's gonna be pissed."

"Uhh yeah," he chuckled as her phone rang. He watched as she answered, ending the call without speaking more than two words. "What is it?"

"He's here," she grumbled.

"Get out, Mickelson," Jax burst in. "Now."

"Take Mila," Julia said quietly. "She doesn't need to hear this." Mickelson took the baby and left, heading down to let the girls fawn over the newborn, as Jax glared at Julia.

"That was you?"

"It was," she said calmly. "Jax, I-"

"What is wrong with you?" He shouted, his hands moving angrily. "I was working on a deal with Pope."

Julia drew her head back. "A deal? He's trying to take over my turf, Jax."

"He's got more power, more guys, and more guns," Jax snapped. "We gotta be smart."

"When did you turn into some pussy?" Julia tilted her head to the side as she looked at him. "Who the fuck are you, Jax? This isn't you."

"Priorities change," he growled. "I gotta keep you and Mila safe. I didn't have shit to lose before, other crews have boundaries, now I got three people to protect."

"Mila and Abel won't get hurt," she said forcefully. "And I'm not thrilled to hear you say shit like that, like I don't care about them."

"This is all new to you," he tried to explain.

"New?" She scoffed. "I've been raised in this just like you were. Don't pull that shit and don't keep me out of my business."

"Your business now is our kid," Jax snapped. "That's what an old lady does!"

"That's not who I am," she said sadly. "I'm not going to be the next Gemma, I won't do that, clean up your shit on a domestic level. I am more than that."

Jax huffed with his nostrils flaring, like they always did when he was angry, as he glared at her. "Is this some kind of revenge for keeping this Pope shit from you?"