Chapter 11

Dinner was bland, the food and conversation, but Abel seemed to be absolutely overjoyed by having both of his parents with him simultaneously. When the dessert was devoured and the plates were cleared Jax stretched and, giving Abel a big hug, headed for the door.

"Why don't we watch a movie?" Wendy suggested, egging Abel on to press his father to stay. "Family movie night?"

"I can't," Jax said apologetically.

"Please Daddy?" Little Abel pouted up at his father pulling his heart strings.

With a huff, Jax crouched down and looked Abel in the eye. "I have an idea buddy. How about you spend the night at Grandma's and tomorrow I'll take you to a baseball game?"

"Really?" Abel launched himself at Jax excitedly. "Mommy can I?" He asked but Jax was quick to answer before Wendy could.

"You don't have to ask Mommy, bud, I'm your dad, it's all good."

"Oh that's a great lesson to teach him," Wendy huffed.

Pulling a face, Jax stood and shrugged. "He knows what I meant."

"He's three," she countered.

Jax scoffed and refused to correct the badly worded lesson he just taught his son. "I can't take him to Gem's, I got my bike. I'll meet you there then I gotta run."

"Yeah," she rolled her eyes. "I'll meet you there."

After Jax had left, Wendy packed Abel his bag and headed to Gemma's. Jax was already there evident by his bike sitting proudly in the driveway.

"My baby!" Gemma instantly scooped him up with little regard for Wendy and hurried to get him ready for bed.

"She needed this I think," Wendy laughed. "I'm not sure what I'll do with a free night, honestly."

"I don't know what a free night even feels like," he smirked.

"I'm sure," she rolled her eyes, her smile gone as quickly as it appeared.

"I didn't mean like that," he said strictly for her benefit. "I gotta run though."

He shouted his goodbyes to Gemma and Abel before wrapping Wendy in a tight but absolutely platonic hug. "I'll bring him back tomorrow night after the game."

"Okay, have fun and make sure you lather him up with sunscreen."

"I will," he winked before slipping out the kitchen door.

Wendy listened to his retreating Harley with a broken heart. Before Gemma even appeared again, she was gone following the roar to ease her curiosity.

--

"Hey," Jax flashed Julia his tooth charming grin once she opened the door. "You alright? I didn't hear from you."

She nodded, her face dark purple and clearly aching, as she stepped aside for Jax to head in. "Slept a lot, I needed it."

They moved further into the apartment before Jax cupped her face and pulled her in for an unexpected and passionate kiss.

"Wow," she blinked at him in surprise. "That was unexpected."

"Unwelcome?"

"Never," she blushed, although it was hidden by the bruises, and moved to kiss him again.

Wendy watched their silhouettes through the balcony doors and felt her heart sink. She truly thought she was over Jax once their relationship was truly over but as Abel grew she felt her love for him rekindling.