Chapter 17

For the first time since they started their relationship Julia and Jax had a normal, almost peaceful, existence. They had been slowly feeding Charlie incorrect information in small increments and taking extra care to hide their growing feelings from everyone, even each other.

Although during the daylight hours they saw little of each other every night they spent together alternating where they stayed.

"Morning," Julia smiled brightly.

Charlie nodded and poured himself coffee, something she had suddenly stopped doing, and settled himself at a table.

"You're cheery," he grunted miserably. 

She shrugged. "It's a gorgeous day, maybe that's why." From under the counter she pulled out the carefully crafted ledger. "I have the first months numbers."

"Oh this I want to see," he perked up. "Maybe all the money we're coming into is what's making you so happy."

With a nervous chuckle she joined him at the table. "Yeah, about that, it's not as good as we expected."

"What?" He scoffed. "It's been packed."

"Apparently they don't want much," she shrugged. "Just barely over the original's numbers so there's not much extra." From the leather bound book she pulled out an envelope and slapped it on the table in front of him.

"This is it?" Charlie asked furiously. "After everything his is my take home?"

"That's the extra," she gave him a knowing look, "The big they aren't supposed to know about. Jax and Nero are paying us directly. I'm not supposed to be involved in that part, I'm supposed to be impartial."

"Impartial?" He laughed heartily. "They see these numbers?"

"Not the book but they've been seeing the slips," she stumbled over her words but recovered quickly. "They get the deposit receipts weekly."

"How'd you get this then?"

"I skim," she shrugged. "The money stays in a safe in the liquor room. I pop in now and then and take what's necessary after a few days."

"You got a good system then," he seemed impressed.

"Yeah, the stress will probably give me premature grays but whatever."

"We'll find a replacement to do the books in a few months. Someone we can trust," he said sternly. "Can't have you running business while you're stuck in that office."

"Oh," she was truly scared. "I kind of like it though. I need an office don't I?"

"All business is conducted here, Julia, you know that."

"Well, yeah," she sighed. "I guess."

"Then it's settled," he sipped his coffee. "I kind of miss ya around here anyway."

"Yeah," she chuckled to hide her annoyance, "I miss you too."

--

The streetlights flickered on along Main as Jax, Wendy and Abel left Hanna's. Since she had returned, averting the near crisis, they made a point to spend more family time together.

"I'll see you in a few days," Jax said. "Be good for your mom and I'll be there to pick you up from daycare on Friday."

"You or Gemma?" Wendy asked him quietly.

"We'll see," he admitted.

As Jax hugged Wendy a smashed up wood panel station wagon tore down the street, swerving wildly, and opened fire on the family. There was a short burst of shots, Jax immediately grabbing Abel and pulling both he and Wendy to the ground.

Pulling his gun, Jax didn't fire, but he jumped to his feet and checked to be sure they were safe. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Wendy stuttered.

"Go to the clubhouse, now." He ordered, jumping on his bike.

"Be careful," she hollered at him. Watching as he drove away she comforted Abel and hurried him back to her car.

Jax followed the shooter for a few miles until they were out of Charming heading closer to the docks. Heading down the dead end of an under construction industrial park the wagon skidded to a stop and, aiming at Jax, emptied his magazine.

"Goddamn it," he growled.

Jax swerved and wobbled, managing to save himself as his bike skidded against the concrete.  He attempted to go for cover, firing blindly, but before he could he felt the white hot pain of a bullet ripping through his flesh.

--

The knock at the door was surprising, especially after Julia had given Jax a key a few weeks before, but she didn't worry. Not until she opened up to see Charlie standing in her doorway.

"Uncle Charlie," she drew her head back.

"Thank God you're okay," he hugged her.

"What? Why? What happened?"

He shook his head, playing the concerned uncle and friend, and moved to sit on the couch. "Someone went after Teller AND Nero, I thought they'd be coming for you next."

Sooner than planned the sound of gunshots rang out but no bullets smashed through windows or splinters walls and doors.

"Jesus," Julia screamed as she took cover.

On the floor she looked up to see Charlie standing over her. He smiled and offered her his hand to help Julia to her feet.

"See how easy that was?"

"What?" She looked around to see no damage to her home. "Wait, what the fuck was that?"

"I know you're slutting around with Teller," he growled. "And I easily could have had him killed." Her phone rang from the table but Charlie grabbed her to keep her from answering. "He's fine, took a through and through to his side."

"Jesus, Charlie." She gasped.

"I told you not to get involved with him," he growled. "Next time I find out you're together, it won't be blanks outside your window and he won't be walking away."

"Uncle Charlie," she whimpered. "Jesus Christ."

"You're my blood," he kissed her forehead. "And I love you as my own, but betrayal is unforgivable. Don't let him twist you up and turn you against me."

"I would never," she whispered. "It's nothing, it's just fun. I'm...I'm sorry."

"Good girl," he gave her an unwelcome hug.

"Why Nero?" She asked as he let her go.

"Because he knew," he said ominously. "He's fine, didn't get hit."

"Okay," she whimpered.

"Now, get to bed, and remember this stays between us."