Chapter 38

*A few months later*

Puttering along awkwardly, Julia and Jax stayed close but she refused to let him in again. Their time together was stressful and while, she remained alone, Jax found his release with Wendy. Diosa construction was nearly completed and Nero was handling Barosky business well, and still in secret. One afternoon Julia arrived at the lot unexpectedly. A prospect caught sight of her and immediately found Jax who hurried to greet her.

"Hey," he offered her his hand as she climbed out of her SUV. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah," she smiled but didn't take his hand. "I just wanted you to know we're having a son and the latest ultrasound looks good, healthy and apparently pretty big."

Jax beamed proudly and, ignoring his gut instincts that she didn't want it, kissed her cheek. "Wendy said if we have a boy she's got Abel's things in storage."

"No thanks," she said with an air of annoyance. "I can get him new things."

"We gonna talk about this?" Jax asked with a sudden shift in attitude.

"I'm good," she shrugged. "Club business doing well?"

"You know it is," he said sharply. "I don't do this, I don't wait around, I don't beg women."

"Wait?" Julia laughed. "You're not fucking Wendy?"

Jax drew his head back, not expecting her to say it so blatantly, but he didn't lie. "Yeah, I am."

"You're not waiting then," she said calmly. "Jax, you don't want this, you don't want me like this, and I know you're pushing because you think you can change me."

Lowering his voice, he gripped her shoulders and whispered harshly. "I love you."

"You love me?" She stammered, throw off by his earnestness. "Even working in this business?"

"I don't like it," he admitted. "It's not safe and I don't think you want it but you're a hardass bitch when you gotta be." He leaned in, his lips brushing against her earlobe, and chuckled. "And that's fucking hot."

Julia laughed and sniffled, still managing to hold her tears back, but she was still so hesitant. "Take me out to dinner tonight."

"I don't think I could afford your appetite," he eyed her growing stomach. "I'm kidding!"

"We'll talk over dinner," she said. "We're feeling Mexican."

"I'm on it," he pressed a fleeting peck on her lips. "I'll pick you up at seven."

Julia smiled and got right back in her car. Waiting for her to leave the lot Jax hurried into the clubhouse once she was gone and grabbed Juice. "I need a good Mexican place, quiet, small, you know."

"Romantic?" Juice asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah, sure." He gave him a hard punch to the shoulder.

"I'm on it," Juice said confidently. "I'll find one."

--

Hours later, Jax arrived at Julia's in his pickup and jogged up the steps to her front door. He smiled as she opened the door, her hair flowing down passed her shoulders and the deep purple dress she wore hugged her new curves.

"Hey," he smiled sweetly. "You look good," his hand ran down her side, tracing the curve of her stomach and hips. "Still in the mood for Mexican?"

She nodded, taking his hand when he offered it, and slammed the door after her before they heading back to his truck.

"I miss your Harley," she admitted as she clicked her seatbelt.

Jax smiled at that. "After you have the baby and you're feeling better I'll take you out for a drive."