8. The cat...eh...wolf is out of the bag.

Start from the beginning

His eyes met hers; searching, pleading.

"I don't know."

"Then try harder. You'll turn seventeen in a month and will be vulnerable once the blind wears of."

Charlotte felt horrible after hearing these words and knowing how conflicted Art was about Orlando Wren. The pull she felt to Casper was undeniable and now she thought about it she wondered if it would further influence Art's opinion of Wren. Just admitting that he didn't know how he felt was already an indication that things were chancing.

If only she could find a way to get solid answers so Art knew where he/they stood.

"Good, you found my note. I wasn't sure you knew how to read", was the first thing Wren said when he walked in the kitchen.

His eyes fell on the cot in the corner.

"Did you finally grow a pair or was your wolf sick and tired of sleeping on the floor?" he taunted but in a playful way.

Art looked up. Black eyes with sparkles in them met his surprised gaze.

"I know", the man raised his hands in surrender. "I'm in good mood."

Slender fingers swiped a small carrot from Art's chopping board.

"My wolf went for a long overdue run and apparently met a she wolf. He's been at me all day making me go around asking if anybody knows her. He thinks she kind of might be in trouble. Her name is Charlotte."

Art felt his head explode. You bet that this she wolf was in trouble! Big trouble!!

Casper had been very keen to get any information first hand and was alerted by Art's peculiar expression. It looked like he was pissed off. But with who? Wren, himself or his wolf? Casper focused all his senses at the servant who slowly turned red.

"I don't know of any girl who has a wolf named Charlotte", Art answered cleverly. This way he didn't lie.

Wren, who was tired of the silly inquiry nodded and was going to move on, but Casper wouldn't let him.

"He's lying!" he hissed.

Wren frowned.

"I noticed no dishonesty in his words. What makes you so sure he lied?"

"Because he didn't answer the question. Ask him again", Casper growled.

Wren knew his wolf wouldn't let this go so he turned his full attention on Art.

"Do you know a wolf named Charlotte?"

The boy trembled and Casper perked up.

"I told you. He's hiding something! Maybe he's one of the lowlifes that bothered her at the festival. Ask him!"

Charlotte remained as quiet as possible trying not to give any sign of her presence to Casper. She could feel him so strongly. Why could he not sense her? Was this still because of the Alpha blind?

"Answer me!" Wren said now using the full force of his Alpha voice.

Art was between a rock and a hard place. What he wanted more than anything was to protect Charlotte. But in doing so his biggest and potential lethal secret would be discovered. His father had taught him a way to disobey an Alpha command. It was extremely painful and absolutely forbidden for lower ranking werewolf's.

"Not for me! Don't risk your life for me. Casper is a decent wolf. He helped me before, maybe he will do it again", she pleaded with tears streaming down her mussel.

"How can you be sure? Once in the open it cannot be taken back, Charlotte."

"He helped me yesterday when I went into an early heat and was chased by four wolfs."

"How did he help?" ask Art dreading the answer when he heard the words; early heat. He remembered the very embarrassing lecture of his father regarding this subject. She nodded at his thoughts. With a sudden gasp he comprehended her meaning.

"You faux mated with his wolf?!" he yelled out loud.

Wren, startled by this sudden outburst, was taken aback.

"What did you just say? Faux mated?"

Casper could no longer contain his anxiety and took control. Wren's eyes flared golden.

"Who is Charlotte?" he growled in Wren's voice.

"Tell him", Charlotte begged.

She now so desperately wanted Casper to feel her presence.

"I hope you're right about his wolf, because otherwise we are royally screwed!" Art sighed.

He wiped his sweaty palms on his pants and lifted his head. The look on his face was one of pure defiance.

"Charlotte is my wolf. Happy now?"