Chapter Seventeen : The Villagers' Attack

Madara grew more and more apprehensive as they approached the Valley of the End. He could still remember vividly how Hashirama had defeated him at the very same place. Also, ironically, here he was, all vengeance just about forgotten, with a large, clumsily created basket made of leaves and twigs, filled to the brim with blackberries, in one hand, while a happy blond held onto the other, swinging happily off it. A small white fox was tucked under her other arm.

"Hey," he said softly. "It's nearly sundown. Come with me, we can watch the sunset together."

"Okay!" Naruto grinned. She knew that Madara wasn't evil, and she loved being his little sister.

He took her through the outskirts of the village, over to the cliffs. Using a superior jutsu to that of the barrier around the village, they entered undetected, and turned to face the horizon. 

The brilliant halo of fiery red melting into lava orange, with brilliant, near florescent pink tinges here and there, before blending over into a golden yellow, had the little blond entranced. Even the older man with her seemed to be taken up by its beauty, until they were rudely interrupted.

"Hey, look!" "What, isn't that the demon?!" "Why is it there?! "Who let it out?!" "No, wait! There's someone with it!" "That's an intruder!" "Quickly, capture them both! hurry!"

Madara snarled, turning around. Naruto didn't move much, but she turned too when he did, holding onto the hem of his flexible red armour with one hand. He petted her head gently, before pulling her closer to him. Whoever attacked her was going to have hell to pay for sure.

A few shinobi joined the rapidly growing crowd. Kunai and shuriken began to fly at them from the crowd, accompanied by more insults, louder abuses and rotten fruit and garbage.

"Kamui." Madara whispered angrily, so that they didn't realise who they were dealing with.

The attacking objects were blown into his time space, where he arranged their positions with a grim smile. Konoha was attacking him, was it? As well as their so-called Hokage's daughter? Well, it couldn't hurt to give them back their weapons, garbage, wasted fruit, would it? He grinned as he sent them all flying back, striking the weapons in the vital points of some shinobi.

"What the hell is going on here?!" He heard Hashirama yell over the angry profanities.

"The demon is out again!" Some fool replied maniacally. "Shodaime-sa-!!" He was cut off by a rude kick to the abdomen, before a punch landed on the back of his neck, knocking him out.

"Anyone else want to call my daughter a demon?" Tobirama called, his voice calm, collected.

"There's someone else with it! An intruder! I don't recognise that chakra signature!" Another shinobi bowed calmly to them. "Also, there's the trace of outsider chakra on the girl."

"With 'it', did you say?" Tobirama's eyes narrowed dangerously, before he punched the man. 

"I beg your pardon, Nidaime-sama...." Another punch to the throat was all the reply he received.

"Who the - !!" Hashirama brke off in surprise, as he recognised the chakra of the shadowed man.

"Who is it, Aniki?!" Tobirama asked impatiently, stepping over his victim. "Are you okay, Naru?"

"Yup!" she called back happily, popping the 'p', but she didn't move away from Madara's side.

"Who's your friend?" he shouted. They were probably watching the sunset, and he hated cliffs.

"Promise not to get mad?" she hollered back, still holding onto the armour, but she was smiling.

"Okay! Now bring your friend over here, Naru!" he laughed, startling Madara. He wouldn't have even thought the man to be capable of laughing ... but then, the same went for himself.

"Come on!" Naru practically dragged Madara into the light, where he stood before the two Kage.

"YOU?!" Tobirama growled angrily, before remembering his promise and balling up his fists.

"Madara?" Hashirama looked surprised and confused both at once. "Why are you with Naru?"

"More like why are you here?" Tobirama demanded. "Why did you set the Kyubi on Konoha? Does she know that the reason she was - she is - ostracised is because of you? Answer!"

"Nii-chan!" Naru reproached him, looking up at him out of large blue eyes. "You're being mean! I got lost while looking for Arashi! I kind of accidentally left the borders, and ended up in another village, and some villagers tried to attack me. He protected me and brought me back. We picked blackberries on the way too, and he brought me here to show me the sunset! And when those villagers attacked me he protected me again! So you can't be mad at Aniki, okay? It's not right!"

"Aniki?!" Both brothers echoed, their combined roars of surprise making Madara flinch slightly.

"Is it wrong?" she asked. "I'm calling you nii-chan and oji-chan, so it's okay if I call him Aniki!"

"Wait, who's Arashi? What's this about picking blackberries - damn, Naru, you put too much information into one breath. Madara, mind explaining?" Hashirama turned to his old friend.

"Like she said, she was chasing after a white fox - Arashi - and accidentally left the borders. She ended up in Yukigakure. Some villagers recognised Kurama's chakra, and attacked her, so I stepped in, and brought her back. On the way," he sighed, pausing for breath. "Blondie here found some blackberries, so we ended up waiting to collect them, and we got here it was nearly sundown. I brought her here to watch the sunset, and your beloved villagers attacked us."

"Why would you protect her all of a sudden? You didn't even know her?" Tobirama asked him.

"I don't know, I didn't think. I just somehow ended up doing it," Madara shrugged. "And you?"

"What the hell do you mean, and me?!" Tobirama snapped, but he knew what the man meant.

"I never thought you were one to adopt a kid, much less laugh and joke around?" Madara asked.

"She happened," Tobirama sighed. "Well, never mind, I'll overlook all you've done just this once. But if you ever turn your back on her, I swear I'll crush you. And I only turn back on a corpse."

"Unlike your brother," Madara grinned, while Hashirama pouted. "Just to be clear, I'm never, ever protecting your ridiculous village. Nor am I declaring war on it, I don't give a damn about it anymore. I'm just here for her, I only ever came for her, and if anyone tries to touch a hair on her head, they might as well as write their death wish," he  added. The two Kage nodded.

"Agreed." They all walked back to the Senju, wondering how the village would react to this.