34.

Claire

The next day in school was completely dull. Julian left me hanging last night. I waited for him to say something, anything. Though, seeing him with Cole again was a really beautiful sight.

"Why the frown, beautiful?" It was Alec. He said it in a flirty attitude, I had to cringe.

I scrunched up my nose in disgust. "Never say that to me, unless you want this friendship to end plus a palm print implanted on your face." I said.

He frowned. "What? Girls usually fall for that line every time." He said, thoughtfully.

I laughed. "Well, I've met Julian. So..." I trailed off purposely.

"Touche, my friend." And then silence before, "What's really the problem?" Alec asked after a while.

"I don't know what you're-" I was rudely interrupted.

"Did you and Julian fight again? Because in times like those, he's usually so miserable, we have to keep our stash of weed and cigarettes to avoid him killing himself. And he's very... I don't know, moody and gloomy, I guess you could say. It's like Stacey all over again." Alec explained.

I looked over at him. "Really?"

He nodded. "Oh, yeah. Like that party? When you walked out crying? Yeah, Julian was all over the place. He couldn't sit still. Especially the moment when Jack what's his face came to us and told us you were crying. Julian kept calling you but it always went straight to voicemail." Alec continued.

"You mean... Julian was worried about me?" I asked in disbelief.

"Of course he was!" Alec protested. "He was ready to kill someone. Specifically Jack though." He added.

That's when it hit me.

Julian. Jack. Me. Crying. Julian was there when Jack asked if I could take him back (It still makes me angry, I want to cry.). Julian has an injured hand because he punched Jack. He punched Jack for... for me.

Just then, the cafeteria door opened and in came Jack with a bruised nose and tired eyes. His look only confirmed my suspicions. Stacey wasn't with him this time. So, I was right. But... why would Julian do that for me? Unless...

"Hey! Earth to Claire! We need you here! Come back." Amanda said, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

I slapped it away. "What?" I snapped.

"Why is Jack dickhead Morgenstein staring at you?" Amanda asked.

I glanced at Jack's direction and, true to her words, he really was staring our way. Specifically, at me. I looked back at my friends and gave them a shrug.

"How should I know? I'm not his babysitter or something." I answered.

"He definitely needs one though. Look at his face." Fox murmured.

Winter whacked his friend upside the head and turned to me. "Did something happen?" Winter asked.

They were all looking at me expectantly. I didn't want to answer them. It was too personal. I didn't want to tell them that Jack begged me to take him back because if I did, they'd make more damage than Julian. Even if that sight would be very amusing to me, I still can't help but want to protect Jack.

I mean, I was a cruel person in general but I wasn't that bad. Besides, (I would probably sound pathetic but whatever.) before Jack was my boyfriend, he was still my friend. I can forget him cheating on me (likely), but I can never forget our friendship.

"No." I said at last. "Nothing out of the ordinary." I added.

They believed my lie immediately.

"Probably wants you back, since he doesn't have a girl to fuck around with anymore." Winter grunted.

You have no idea, bud.

"Yeah, probably. But... his nose. I mean look at it. It looks as if a giant watermelon is on his face." Fox said.

There was laughter around the table but I tuned them out, wondering where Julian was. That's when I received a message. A message from the wanted person himself.

Garden in five minutes?, it said.

Not so missing after all.