23

T W E N T Y - T H R E E

D A R I U S

"So Talon tells me you two plan to get hitched." The sentence slipped out his mouth so casually I assumed Vail figured he was just making quaint conversation. Clearly not knowing that Talon was supposed to keep things between us a secret.

Sighing, I briefly looked to Vail. "She wasn't supposed to tell you." I murmured. Of course it was no secret that me and Talon were once considered a thing, but I expected the conversations that we have in private to be. For we both know how strict and very clear my father has been about him not wanting me to be in her company. Since the announcement of me and Ellanore coming together he's been keeping a close eye on everything I do.

"I'm not going to waste my breath and remind you how bad of an idea that is." Throwing me a look out the corner of his eye, Vail shook his head. His eyebrows drawing together in a frown. "I'm sure you're already aware of that."

'Of course I know it's a bad idea.' I thought to myself. The idea wasn't even mine to begin with but a mere suggestion Talon herself had mentioned earlier this week. I've put the thought aside with everything that's been going on, but Talon was always known to be very persistent. She conjured up the thought in her head that I'd swoop her off her feet and make her my wife. Little did she know that this idea of hers was very unlikely to happen.

"You know how Talon can be." I mumbled.

"Sadly, how can I not." Vail was never one to take bullsh*t and he took the custom living bestowed upon us from the council very serious. So having his sister interfere with me bounding myself to Ellanore bothered him. "I can talk to her if you want. She's hard headed and self centered but she does take what I have to say into consideration."

"I'll figure something out." I said, silently turning down the offer of having Vail sort through my problems. One of them being his overbearing sister. "Once we find the girls I'll pull her aside so we can sort things out."

"If we find the girls. Who knows if they're even still alive. Or if someone happened to get to them before we did."

"If he's smart he'll know to leave them alone." It was no secret that Cane and his hound dogs roam through these woods. Overstepping their boundaries and crossing onto our side of the land as they preyed and conspired up ways to save their friend... their leader. I guess you can say that we've sparked the fire by capturing him and holding him against his own will, but that was only after they killed a dozen of our own.

Had we overlooked the tragic incident then they would have took advantage of us and considered us weak. But doing the complete opposite of so we surprised them with an attack of our own. They never expected for us to retaliate which in turn made capturing their leader for our own good will that much easier.

No one knew that we had him, not even the council. Just members suited within my fathers organization. Hell my own mother didn't even know, and we're hiding him right under her own nose.

Agreeing Vail and I continued to make our way through the coverage of trees. Occasionally turning away a low branch or breaking through a mask of bushes. Our senses sharp and highly alert for anything odd or of suspicion.

"How much longer do you think your father is going to have us out here looking for them?" I could tell that Vail was getting agitated by the second having to help us look for Alice and Ellanore, hell even I could relate to the feeling. But I understood my fathers worry over Ellanore. And his obsessive want to have her back in his possession. She was of great value to him, to us, to our coven. It only see fit that we found her in the same condition as when she left.