15

F I F T E E N

Alec has been acting strangely weird. Ever since the dinner, and return of Darius... He's been a tad bit more hostile. Distant even. Normally I'd be bothered with the sudden mood change, but as I sat in the kitchen. Elbow propped on the counter, and palm lazily resting against my cheek; I realized that despite the itching urge to demolish these odd feelings of mine... I simply could not forget about Alec.

He was constantly on my mind. So much so I nearly found myself suffering. Thinking of a man that I could not have... A man that I shouldn't want.

"Ella? Did you hear me?"

Shaking my head, I drew my gaze away from the window and looked to Celia. She was standing near the stove. Filling a bowl with soup as she placed it onto a cart. Along with a cup of water and packet of crackers. Her eyebrows were drawn together in agitation upon the realization that I seemed to be zoning out. Her hands placed upon the handle of her hips.

"Geez, what's with you today?" She mumbled.

Sighing I stepped away from the counter, running my fingers through my hair as I gave Celia my full and undivided attention. "Just tired is all." I lied.

I knew that if I ever needed to talk to someone then I could turn to Celia to listen, but I couldn't bring myself to even utter his name. Alec.. I just couldn't.

"Right." Refraining from asking anymore questions, Celia checked to make sure she had everything prepared on the cart before gently pushing it towards me. The back wheel groaning in protest as she did. Due to years of being overused. "Take this to Darius will you. Seems as if he's come down with some sort of sickness."

"Uh sure." Smiling though it didn't quite reach my eyes, I grabbed the cart. Slowly pushing it through the revolving door as I stepped into the hallway. The candles were lit. The flash of lightening pouncing off the walls ever so often. A storm was brewing. Slowly creeping it's way over the town of Presley. The wind was howling, pounding against the shudders as they tapped against the windows.

I was never found of thunder storms. They gave me a fright and made me feel oddly jittery. So it came as no surprise when I jumped nearly ten feet in the air as Alec bounded around the corner. He was wearing a suit. His hair combed and slicked with gel. Looking just as handsome as he always did. "Geez Alec you nearly scared me half to death." I mumbled. Placing the palm of my hand over my chest.

"Elllanore." Nodding his head in acknowledgement to my presence, Alec briefly smiled before walking right past me. Straight down the hall and disappearing around the corner in which I had just came.

Looking down the hall, I bit my lip. My eyebrows drawing together in a frown. I didn't want to admit it to myself... But I found that I was bothered by the fact that Alec took very little time to notice my presence, or say more than two words too me.

Whenever he was around my stomach would erupt in butterflies, the feeling overwhelming me with confusion and loathe. I had no idea as to what I should feel, or say. It was far to overwhelming. Which is why instead of dwelling on my thoughts much longer, I continued to move forward. Pushing the cart as I made my way to one of the many guest bedrooms that sat at the end of the hall.

With Darius feeling ill, Mrs. Lucilla thought it'd be best if he were to stay downstairs. That way it'd be more fitting for him to be served and comforted as he pleased.

"Darius?" Tapping my knuckles against the door I patiently awaited for him to voice that it was okay for me to come in. But there was no reply. "Darius I've brought you something to eat." Still no reply. Biting my lip, I heaved a sigh before twisting the doorknob and pushing the overly wide door open as I wheeled the cart into the room.