Chapter 29: In the cabin

~~Chapter 29: In the cabin~~

Kamen.

          How could my mind go anywhere else? What was I thinking? Aliens? Really, Jo?

          The more I thought about what was going on in the cabin the more my mind flickered back to the end of the race. I thought that Kamen had just disappeared into the crowd-but maybe he didn't disappear alone.

          "That blond Italian-bitch!" I growled under my breath. "Lesbian my ass!"

          With my fist clenched, I pounded open the screen door. Thick steam fogged up the room and made me feel even hotter than I was outside. My eyes scanned the room, but no one was there. I glanced over at Kitty and Trenton's perfectly made bed while mine was a heaping mess of pillows and sheet. The thick comforter was thrown to the side of the bed.

          The image of Kamen and another woman in the bed flooded my mind making my stomach lurch uncomfortably.

          "Oh gross," I gaged in disgust. My words didn't match what my heart was feeling though. I was enraged, I was angry beyond belief, and I was...confused.

          A sound came from the bathroom making me jump. My eyes darted towards the slightly open door.

          I slowly made my way towards the bathroom door. I took in one last deep breath before pushing it open. The door flew open and more hot steam simmered out of the bathroom. It looked as though someone had just taken a shower.

          As soon as the thought passed my mind my eyes found Kamen standing amongst the steam. His hair was a wet mess and droplets of water fell off his toned body and onto the ground below. The only thing that was covering him though was a thin towel around his waist.

          Despite the hot steam around us, my body was frozen in place. My cheeks heated up in embarrassment as Kamen's eyes met mine. My hand pressed against the door way so I didn't lose my balance.

          "I-um-sorry-" I stuttered, stumbling out of the bathroom.

          "Oh, don't act so surprised." Kamen growled, pushing past me. I looked up at him in shock and his shoulder nudged me roughly away. "You act like you've never seen a naked man before."

          My cheeks heated up once again. Kamen noticed, but seemed too distracted to even bother laughing at me, which for once I was grateful for.

          "Where is Kitty?" Kamen asked, catching me off guard.

          I tried to recall the last time Kamen had ever cared about Kitty or our roommates in general. He actually seemed more annoyed with them than anything. Well, Kitty did come out of here crying, but I doubt just the sight of Kamen nude would make her cry the way she was. Would it...

          "Trenton took her away. She was crying her eyes out, what did you do?" I asked. My voice came out like a robot; I was too distracted by Kamen's bare back to really act concerned.

          I had seen Kamen without a shirt on before, but soaking wet in a steam filled room was a whole new level. The water dripping off him somehow made his tan, toned muscles stand out and more noticeable whenever he moved.

          "I-well I-might have thrown a pillow at her.....and when I mean pillow I mean.....hair drier...."

          I instantly snapped out of my daze and walked to stand in front of Kamen. "You what?" I shrieked. "Why the hell would you do that?

          Before I turned into a bubbley mess of confusion, I stopped myself and though for a moment. My eyes drifted back towards the messed up bed and then back up at Kamen's body.

"Wait," I sighed. "I already know the reason."

          Kamen's face twisted in confusion. "You do?"

          "She interrupted you and the 'lesbian' Italian girl, right?" I said, my face red in anger. "Don't play stupid with me." I mimicked his voice.

          "Oh my gosh, you are still going on about that?" Kamen groaned, his head rolling back in annoyance.

          "Yeah-yeah I am! It was never over!" I was defensively, taking a step towards him with my arms crossed. I wanted to seem larger, or more intimidating to Kamen. I wanted to once make him feel as if he has done the wrong thing and make him all confused.

          "Indie," Kamen grabbed my shoulders, smearing water onto both of my sleeves, "I didn't sleep with anyone. I haven't since I got here, alright?"

          "Come on, where is she? How did she get out? Is she hiding?"

          "Why are you so hung up about this?" Kamen growled, his eyebrows furring together in anger.

          "Because, why else would you come here? I know you well enough that it certainly wasn't because of Becky." Kamen turned his back to me making me seethe with anger. My anger and frustration was finally boiling over and I have had enough. "Just tell me! Tell me one reason why the hell I am doing any of this? Not once have you given me the faintest clue of why in the world you need me. Just please, tell me the truth for once. Why are we here?"

          I was almost out of breath now and Kamen's back was still facing me. My palms were sweaty and the steam simmering around the cabin wasn't helping either.

          "That is why you think I came here, just to hook up with old flings, huh? Is that what you think of me?" Kamen said slowly while droplets of water rushed off his hair and onto the ground.

          I opened my mouth to answer, but I couldn't think of one thing to say. Instead, I turned my head away and glued my eyes to the ground and away from Kamen's piercing gaze.

          Kamen was silent for a while. I thought he wasn't going to speak at all. But eventually he spoke, "My step sister works here. I want her to believe we are married, alright? That is all."

          Before I could respond, Kamen turned around and walked past me back into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him.