Chapter 3: Fire truck

~~Chapter 3: FireTruck~~

“My God man, you nearly scared the hell out of me.” Nicks blurts out causing me to turn my gaze towards him even though I am still in shock at who had just suddenly burst into the room unexpectedly.

          Nick’s voice-which ounce sounded so professional and composed- now sounded similar to a punk rock skater dude. It took me by surprise and Nick must have noticed because he began to scratch the back of his neck awkwardly as if he just revealed a secret he wasn’t supposed to.

          “Orlando, I told you to wait until I called you back to come in here.” Nick furiously whispered in coffee man’s direction as if I couldn’t hear him, but he wasn’t paying attention to Nick at all. His eyes were locked on me once again making me feel smaller than a crumb.

          The man looked just as intimidating and soaked in coffee as he did out in the hall. He brown hair wasn’t so in his face anymore so his chiseled features became more noticeable. His deep chestnut eyes wouldn’t leave mine it seemed for the longest time. I was so close to standing up, looking him dead in the eye, and asking him what the hell he wanted. But I decided to be more ‘classy’ about it.

          “Y-you know this man?” I asked even though I was well aware it was none of my business whatsoever.

          “Please tell me this isn’t the girl you were talking about.” Coffee man didn’t even give Nick an opportunity to reply to me as his eyes drooped down in disappointment. What was going on?

          “What do you mean?” Nick started and stood up from his desk. He walked over to coffee man and slapped his hand over his shoulder as if they had been friends for years. “I thought she would be great for the job, perfect even! She is hot, young, sophisticated…”

          “Sophisticated?” Coffee man laughed and threw Nick’s hand off his shoulder and motioned down to his shirt. “This klutz of a girl caused this and hardly even bothered to apologize for it.”

          My mind was swirling in a motion to fast for a ‘klutz of a girl like me’ to process as I listened to the two men ramble in front of me as if I wasn’t even there. What had just happened? Why did coffee man have to ruin my great moment of finding out my book was going to be published? What a self- centered brat! Who did he think he was barging in here during my interview!?

          All I wanted was to have my freaking book published. Was that too much to ask? I never in a million years thought that some dude I bumped into in the hall could possibly put my deal of lifetime to a halt.

          “Look, I appreciate you trying to help me out here, Nick. But my wife-“

          Nick slammed his hand over coffee man’s mouth mumbling whatever else he was trying to say in the process.

          “Orlando,” Nick grunted as coffee man slapped his hand away from his mouth. “You barged in here and didn’t give me a chance to explain our situation here.”        

          I stared at Nick in shock. He had sweat pouring down the side of his face as fast as a roaring river and his once cool and composed attitude had flown right out the window.

          “Good,” Coffee man said sternly. “Because she won’t need to know. I’m out of here.”        

          “Know what? What the hell is going on here?” I blurted out not only surprising me, but everyone else in the room as well. If this issue was going to affect me or my book in any way I wanted to know right now. I stood up from my seat but I was no match for the two tall men in front of me. Dam my shortness.