Chapter 18: Accident-prone

~~Chapter 18: Accident-prone~~

**SORRY COULDNT THINK OF A GOOD TITLE FOR THIS CHAPTER**

“Don’t tell me you are serious? How could you not have noticed?” Michelle asked; her eyebrows boring together in confusion.

          I felt the strangest urge to shrivel up onto the sandy beach below me and into a tiny almost invisible ball. Surely no one would pay attention to a tiny little ball on the ground. I would give anything to stop the stares coming at me from all direction. I would even become a little useless ball on the fucking sandy beach!

          I took a deep breath and halted my strange thoughts right then and there.

          I tried to smile it off but no one around me seemed to be convinced. I tucked my hands behind my back awkwardly and said, “I didn’t mean it like that. I meant, um, I didn’t expect your lake to look this beautiful that’s all.”

          Nice save, Jo. I mentally patted myself on the back.

          “Oh, well that makes more sense.” Michelle laughed her squeaky high pitched laugh that made my head almost want to explode. Michelle might be skinny and pretty, but everyone has their flaws. In this case, Michelle was stuck with her annoying and ear-splitting laugh that could send a room of sleeping infants into an uproar.

          I smiled shyly Michelle’s way and she smiled brightly back. I did have to admit though, I was shocked. I didn’t expect Kamen’s perverted boss to have a wife like Michelle.

          Michelle was sweet, kind-hearted, and I found this out in the less than ten minutes that I have known her. She was young and had a natural beauty to her that any modeling agency would die for. Her blonde long hair fell gracefully down her back, unlike my stick thin brown hair that Nana somehow couldn’t manage to get all the knots out this morning before we came.

          “So what do you say, Jo? Wanna go swimming?” Michelle asked with a giggle.

          Oh yeah, that’s right. The lake. The horribly embarrassing thing I somehow missed when Kamen and I were driving up here and asked about only seconds ago. How could I not have noticed that not only was Michelle and Miginacoli stinking rich, but they lived on a fish poop free lake as well!

          My toes dug into the sandy mixture beneath me as I looked off towards the crystal clear blue water only feet away from me. I tried to ignore the weird feelings that were stirring around inside of me just at the look of the lake. Even though I could admit that it was beautiful, especially for a lake, I still couldn’t ignore the weird feeling I got whenever I glanced towards it.

          Lakes or any type of body of water didn’t scare me; it was the memories they brought back that made me feel uneasy.

          I gulped and turned away from the lake in a flash and instead focused on the cheerful blonde girl in front of me, “I, um, like your dress Michelle.”

          “You do?” Michelle squealed as if she was actually surprised I liked what she was wearing when it was obvious to anyone that it was stunningly gorgeous, “Thanks Jo, yours is super cute too—it just isn’t my color. No offense.”

          “None taken,” I said completely agreeing with her. Red never did look quite right on me, but Nana and Cece had insisted on it and it was too early in the morning at the time to waste time arguing about it.

          “Please darling, don’t go criticizing our guests on their fashion sense. Just because you refuse to wear anything that isn’t some shade of blue doesn’t mean that what Josephine is wearing isn’t flattering.” I flinched in surprise at the sudden voice of Mr. Miginacoli behind me. I spun around only to be face to face with his fresh tan face. He grinned down at me and I gulped down my scream as best as I could.