Chapter 5

"James, you look exhausted. Are you okay?" Nadine asked when James didn't answer. She was telling him about how her mom and dad met since he was asking about love again, but he wasn't saying anything like he usually does.

"Sorry, Naddie. It's just... the new moon is nearing."

"Is that bad?" She asked, worried.

"Well, for you humans, you get your energy from the sun. It's different for us; we get our energy from the moon. So we all get a bit weak when it's time." He explained.

"Oh..." She said contemplating.

"What is it?" James asked.

"It's just, I feel like I depend on the moon, somehow, too..." She trailed off. James waited.

"After the accident, I became so weak when it is day but when the moon is up, I somehow become stronger again..." She continued.

James was about to answer but then Lauren arrived.

"James!! Go back now!!!" He shouted vehemently.

"I'm so sorry Nadine, we have to go." Lauren said as she dragged James away.

"Wait! Naddie!" James tried to go back but Lauren was resolute.

"What's going on?" James asked as they entered their kingdom.

"It's bad, let's just go to your room first, okay?" Lauren said.

But just as James was about to enter his room through his window, he heard a cry.

It was Nadine.

"Nadine!" He exclaimed. "Nadine is crying! I need to go back!" He said to Lauren.

"She's crying?" Lauren asked, looking scared.

"You can hear her! You have sharp ears!" James said.

"I really can't, and you should have not the ability to hear her, too. She's a mortal. I can only hear you because it was mother's gift. After what happened to our sister, she gave me this gift. She knew I was blaming myself. I was there that day a mortal saw her, but I didn't hear her calls for help. Mother didn't know how to ease up my guilt, and so instead, she gave me this gift- so that I can always hear you and Arjo and Jack." Lauren said.

"Then, why can I hear her?" James asked.

"The same way I can hear Junichi. Mother's gift was only so I can hear my siblings, but I can hear Junichi, too. Wherever he is, I can easily find his voice. My brother, I think you have found your yuanfen." Lauren said. She's smiling, but it was a sad smile.

Once they were in his room, the door burst open, and Andy came in.

"James, the King has called for you." He said.

---

James presented himself to the king. It seems the king has called for a court as all his siblings were present.

"My King." He bowed.

"Snow Lord." The king concedes.

"As you should have known, it is against our law to see a mortal." The king said without further ado, and James closed his eyes in lament.

"As such," the king continued, "a punishment has just been imposed on the mortal. A valuable object has been taken from the mortal as a form of atonement."

"What?" James exclaimed to the court.

"Why?! I was the one who broke the law, not her! I should be the one punished!"