Chapter 1

He is curious about this girl.

This girl who is always playing by their home...

This girl who has always loved the tree, the flowers, nature...

This girl who his mother had loved so much...

His mother said she reminds her so much of his late sister.

That was the first thing his mom said when they moved into that house.

He couldn't really remember his sister much so he couldn't compare, but he believed his mother.

He has seen her watching her. Always watching her...

She has protected her from any harm.

She warded off that burglar.

She visited her in her dreams.

She was spending so much time for her that some of his siblings were sympathetic and the others were resentful.

His oldest brother said, "She is still grieving for our dear sister."

But his little brother said, "She might have lost one daughter, but she'll lose her other children with what she's doing."

He thought, though, that their mother felt that their sister came back, in the person of this girl, Nadine. He could see his mother wasn't grieving.

And he knew that his siblings will always love their mother no matter what.

His mother has watched her for so many years...

She has watched her when she was hit by that car.

And she sacrificed herself to save her.

In a sense, his little brother is right, her children lost a mother.

He didn't blame Nadine.

But their father did.

Now they were banned to see any mortal.

But he is curious.

Very much curious of this Nadine...

He wanted to understand their mother.

He wanted to know their sister.

He wanted to know Nadine.

He wanted to know if she was worth his mother's sacrifice.

He wanted to see that piece of his mother that was transferred to her because of his mother's sacrifice.

That piece of her mother that anchors Nadine in this world still.

He is the seventh of the royal children, the Snow Lord, chief of the snow sprites.

He is Prince James of the Otherworld.

He wanted to know more about her. So James began to watch.

---

The sun was already setting, so James went out and sat by the branch just above their castle. He knew that Nadine would be coming out any minute now.

Because of the accident, Nadine quit school. She now only just studies by herself at home.

She sleeps at day because she can't really do anything then. She'll wake up around sunset, and then she'll go out in their garden.

She still always sat by the wisteria tree. She reads her books there oftentimes. And James would watch her.

Nadine's mom would sometimes accompany her or bring her foods through the night. Sometimes it was her dog, Clarky, who would stay with her.

Clarky is a very gifted dog, he always finds James. Nadine would sometimes laugh at him when he starts prancing around but the truth was it was for James. It was as if the dog was inviting him out into their world.

Humans couldn't really see fairies if the fairies didn't wish it.

Of course, some humans are gifted, and some fairies are just reckless that they forget to make themselves concealed.

Sometimes Nadine water the plants at night, she would talk to the flowers while doing so.

This was something James admired about her. James is happy to know there were still humans like her who cares about the nature.

Through those first days of Nadine's adjustment to her new life, James watched her. James was entranced with her. And as time goes by, she became more and more enchanting for him.

He didn't really know anything about humans, just that they were mortals who take nature for granted. Their father has always stressed that. He said that humans don't deserve to be given such abundance of nature.

But Nadine is nothing like what their father said. She is very gentle and she values nature.

Nadine went out of their house and sat by the wisteria tree. She started reading her book. This time, it wasn't the big one James saw her last read. It's a small book with very colorful pages. James looked more closely and realize that there was a drawing of a lady fairy in the page.

But the lady is weird. She looks like a butterfly. She have wings that of a butterfly and an antennae. And her eyes are red. Was she a perhaps a sprite? Sprites have red eyes... But sprites don't have wings...

Well, James is as tall as a Swallowtail. Maybe that's why humans compare fairies to butterflies, because of the similarity in size.

James wonders, but then Nadine turned the page and then she let out a soft chuckle. James smiled at her jovial face.

He didn't realize it, but he was continuing was his mother had been doing.