Prologue

-----

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. -- Anaïs Nin

-----------------

Prologue

Nadine knew it all started here. It's where her adventure began.

They moved here when she was only three years old, her mother had said. The house was a bit big for a family of three, and the garden was much more so.

Nadine loved playing in the garden. She loves flowers and there were so many kinds in their backyard. Her favorite part of their garden was the wisteria tree, especially the upturned root where she usually sits or hides.

 Her favorite part of their garden was the wisteria tree, especially the upturned root where she usually sits or hides

She was content to climb it up then hang around playing with some inch worms from the tree. Then climb up a bit more. Then down a bit. Then swing for a while. She would always look really content. Then she would go all the way back to the ground and just lay there looking up at the tree. When her father would ask her if she was okay, she would laugh and say her legs had gone to sleep and she couldn't stand up yet.

Sometimes she would climb up just to watch the sky. She would look at the clouds and its shapes, or watch the sunset.

Their wisteria tree is very peculiar.

Nadine have dreamt about it so many times, especially when she sleeps at noon. She would dream about a very beautiful castle sitting in that upturned root of their tree. And in each dream, she could see the castle more and more clearly.

One day when she was home alone, she took a nap waiting for her parents to come back. She dreamt once again, but this time it was much different. She dreamt of a very beautiful lady with very long and shiny hair. She was smiling sweetly at her. She had green eyes and red hair. She was calling her and telling her to wake up. She didn't know how she knew she was asleep but she did.

When the lady called her name once again, she woke up.

And that's when she heard something--someone moving from inside their house.

She was scared. It didn't feel like it was her parents.

She didn't dare make a noise. She felt it was dangerous.

But then, the door to her room slowly opened, and a scary looking man peeked in. She was about to scream but the burglar screamed first.

He was looking straight to her but not at her. He was looking at something that seems to be on top of her.

He fell down, his eyes never leaving whatever he was seeing on top of her. He ran away looking scared.

A little while after that, her parents arrived. She told them what happened. They were very thankful that Nadine was alright. But they didn't believe her when she said that a very pretty lady helped her.
She didn't know why but she went to the wisteria tree and prayed there. She thanked the lady for her help.

After that, whenever something would happen to her, she would go to the wisteria tree and pray.

When her dad bought a new dog to avoid another break in, she brought the dog by the tree. When her dad saw him again, he was astonished to see that one of the dog's eyes was blue while the other was green. Her dad said that he remembered them being both blue.

One night, when it was full moon, their flowers all bloomed at once. It was as if Nadine was watching those documentaries in fast forward. But Nadine has stopped saying what she sees to other people.

Nadine started dreaming about the long-haired lady more and more. She would dream about them just talking. She couldn't remember what they were talking about; only that she was very happy and very contented talking to pretty lady.

Even as Nadine turned eighteen, she didn't stop having those dreams and she didn't stop hanging out by the wisteria tree.

It only stopped the day after her birthday; the day Nadine was hit by a car.

Her doctors were all in incredulity. She was hit by a speeding car. The doctors were expecting the worse, but Nadine didn't have any scratch. None at all.

And what happened to her seems extraneous. After her accident, Nadine became weak. She could not go out at day, only at night. It was not like a skin disease, it was more like she was barely alive at day, and then she was normal at night.

No one could explain how this happened.

So Nadine could only try to go on with her life.