Chapter 4

Winter was midway so there was more work for James. He was thankful Arjo would be doing more work now, too.

He always finished his work early, and then he'll leave the work to Arjo for the night. He knew Arjo knew about his reasons but they never talk about it.

Like what he usually does, he went to his room, as if he would be sleeping already and then went out of his window. It was against their law to see a mortal, but he just cannot not see Nadine.

He went out of their castle and up the wisteria tree; he always waits for Nadine there.

But that night, Nadine is already there.

He went to her but she was with someone.

"Lauren! You're here again!?" He exclaimed.

Lauren stuck her tongue at him. "I'm also Nadine's friend!" She said.

"But you're hogging her all for yourself!" He exclaimed, it was the fourth time Lauren beat her to Nadine.

"That's what you're doing! I don't complain when you're first here!" Lauren said.

"Don't you have any other friends?" He asked.

"I'm actually quite fed up with only having my brothers to talk to." She said coldly.

"How about Jenny or the other fairies?" He tried once more.

"Jenny only thinks about her wings, and Ella just keeps playing with Jack! Not Nadine, though, she's a great friend."

Nadine giggled.

"Okay, what about Ishii, does he know you're here?" James asked and he was happy when Lauren didn't answer at once.

Lauren sighed.

"Fine, I'll go back. Selfish James!" She exclaimed.

She flew to Nadine's face and she kissed her on both cheeks.

"I'll see you again, Nadine!" She said.

Nadine smiled at her, "I'll be waiting."

When she was finally gone, James cheered. "Finally!" He said.

Nadine laughed, "You're mean, James. She just wanted to talk."

"But you guys always talk! And when you two talk, you completely forget about me!" He pouted.

"That's not true, you should just join us." Nadine said but James was still doubtful.

"How does it work, by the way?" Nadine asked. "How is it that Ishi is Lauren's fiancé? Do all the princes and princesses have fiancé? Do you have one?" She asked.

"No, only Lauren and Jack. There's a tradition about one's natal day. When a two fairies's natal days crosses, it means they are for each other. Yuanfen. So Ishii became Lauren's fiancé and Ella, Jack's. The other fairies search for their own yuanfen. They said once they've found them, they will know it at once. Andy and Jenny are both searching for one; they're in the right age now."

"But, is it okay to Lauren and the others? Aren't they being forced?" Nadine asked, worried.

"Both Lauren and Ishii said that they love each other." He shrugged. "Though I don't know how that must feel."

"Well, if you really care for someone, then you love that someone." Nadine said.

"Is that how it is?" He asked.

"I think so." She said.

"Then that means I love Lauren, and Ishii, and Andy, and Jenny, Robbie, Arjo, Jack, Ella and Father."

Nadine nodded.

"Yes, I think you love them very dearly."

James thought for a second, "Then that must mean I love Naddie, too!" He said.

Nadine's eyes widen a fraction, but she smiled after a moment.

"Does Naddie love me, too?" He asked.

"I do." She said and James beamed.

James came back to their home before dawn. He didn't know why, but he was so happy that day. He couldn't wait for the next night.

He just wanted to talk and talk to Nadine.

He flew back through his window, intending to sleep a bit before another day of work but his room wasn't empty.

"James, you sneaked out again."

"Andy!" He exclaimed.

"Did you go see that girl again?" He asked. His tone wasn't angry, but there was something that was worrying James.

"Nadine, yes." He confessed. "But please don't tell father. You know how he is."

"Why do you keep seeing her? You know it's against our law and you even brought Lauren, Trisha and Ishii with you." He said.

"You knew about that, huh?" He said sheepishly.

"But Nadine is nothing like what father said!" He said. "She's very gentle and she likes nature!"

"It's still against the rules, James. And look at yourself, you look exhausted, you haven't slept properly since you started seeing her."

"Well, at first I just wanted to know why mother..." He trailed off. "And then I got to know her, and I like it that I get to know her and be friends with her and talk to her..." He said.

Andy sighed.

"Just don't let anybody else find out okay?" He said.

He was astonished how James's expression changed, he was looking miserable a second and then he was looking so happy.

"Thanks, Andy!" He said and tackled him. "I promise I'll be careful!"

"James!" They both heard Arjo called.

"James, go to bed." Andy said.

"But-"

"It's fine. I'll tell Arjo to let you rest today."

James smiled. "Thank you."

Andy left his room. He was very worried for his brother. It has become too complicated. He was too late.

His brother was in love with a mortal.