X V I I

Marie's footsteps were light as she meandered hesitantly toward Alpha Janie, or Lady Canis' office. She walked slowly, putting one foot in front of the other, as the delectable scent filled her nostrils, amplifying as she took another step.

It smelt of earth, muddy after a rainy day, with the slightest pinch of spice that made it so much more amazing. Marie could have reveled in the mouth-watering scent. She passed many others as she walked, but none of them seemed to be smelling it, and if they did, they weren't reacting as much as Marie, who probably looked like a drunkard, seeking solace in alcohol.

And then the door slammed open. Marie, who was staring at her feet as she walked, started, and her reflexes caused her to stand in defense. She slowly raised her eyes.

It was a male. He wore expensive-looking shoes that were built for running. 

Her eyes continued their journey.

He was built, alright. His broad shoulders, abdominal muscles, and sharp collarbone could be outlined through his tight shirt. He had a jawline that was probably more defined than her life.

As her eyes met his slightly flushed face, she could have fainted from its sheer beauty. It was angled, with his long eyelashes fanning his high cheekbones. His jet black hair reached his ear, messy and curly. His eyes - oh, those eyes. They were a cerulean blue, with flecks of grey and green, that brought her immense pleasure. 

His pale cheeks were painted a slight red, as his eyes raked up and down her body. Marie shuddered. 

He slowly walked closer.

Marie detonated internally. A rational part of her mind was telling her to walk away, as she was still scarred from her previous relationship. But all kinds of lucid thoughts left her as he smiled a shy smile.

It completely transformed his face. Marie's heart almost stopped.

"You're my mate, aren't you?" he asked, his voice a rough timbre that send shudders down Marie's spine.

"I'm Adam Crawford, my sweet. You?"

A minuscule part of her was telling her to walk away from all this. To go to the west, to the Lang Pack. Anywhere but here. Escape while you still can!   

But she forgot all of that as a look of absolute adoration took over her face, and she walked ahead. Alpha or not, whether she was still scarred by Greg, it didn't matter at all.

She walked forward, holding his outstretched hand. Her wolf cooed in happiness.

"I'm Marie. Marianne Bentley."

***

a/n: when you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!

i currently have 17.5k reads and 829 votes. and all this in 2 and a half months. i love you guys so much it ain't even a joke.

currently a ball of happy fluff,

ish, xoxo.