I was falling and I had finally hit the bottom.

NIALL'S POINT OF VIEW 

Liam avoided me the entire plane flight even though he sat right next to me. Typical asshole. He didn't know the whole story. Only what Gene had told him. What had she even told him?

Whatever. It didn't matter. I couldn't do anything now. 

"How much longer?" I asked the man. He warily glanced over at me before replying.

"Just one more hour, sir."

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. What the fuck am I saying? I don't fucking want to be here. I want to be there. With her. With Gene. 

~

We finally landed in New York. It was fucking cold. Smoke came out of my nose every time I exhaled and it was fucking annoying. Everything pissed me off. The bright lights. The happy people. I flinched when a shout of laughter was heard. 

How dare people laugh when I was here suffering.

How dare they be happy when I'm miserable and fucking freezing to death. Who knew there was such a huge difference in temperature between New York and South Carolina. I had only packed a couple tshirts and jeans. If Gene was with me, she would've reminded me of the cold weather and she would've gone shopping with me and picked out sweaters for me and-

What the fuck am I thinking? She's gone. I lost her. 

"It's for your own good."

I winced when my father's voice echoed throughout my head.

"Let her down harshly. Make sure she knows you don't want her. She's a pretty girl. She'll get over you. I promise." 

"Shut the fuck up!" I shouted. My hands flew up to my ears trying to block out his words. The speech he had given to me before I went to Gene seemed to haunt me. Replaying in my head over and over again. 

I was a coward.

I was weak.

I couldn't fight for her.

"Sir?" The man in the suit was in front of me. 

"What?" I snapped.

"Here is your suitcase. We'll be taking a taxi to the hotel."

I nodded. 

The taxi ride was short. 

"Wow." I heard Liam say. I glanced out the window as we rolled up to a huge golden building labeled the Gold Chambers Hotel. I had to admit I was impressed as we walked in, it was the kind of hotel my dad would stay at on his business trips. He use to take me with him when I was 5 and when mom was still alive. 

"I'm not sharing a room with him." I made sure the man knew I would turn right back around and get on a plane back to South Carolina if I was sleeping in the same room as Liam. 

The man nodded and gave me a room key. I hastily walked away from them and into the elevator, not even waiting. I couldn't stand being around the two of them any longer. Everything they did just pissed me off and I was close to just losing control. Too close. 

The room was huge and the view was decent. Good enough. The bed was king sized and I felt a pain in my chest, remembering I would be sleeping alone tonight and for many night to come. I kicked my suitcase into the wall and collapsed on the bed. As I rested, one thought circled around my head.