Chapter 24

______________________________

And I will swallow my pride.
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.
Anywhere, I would have followed you

______________________________

"What do you mean? What are you saying?" I asked desperately. I knew exactly what they were telling me. 

"It's true, Gene. I know that's hard to hear." Zayn reached his hand out, but I pulled away.

"No. You're lying. Why are you telling me this!?" I refused to believe them.

"Niall's dad has been like this for years, there's nothing we can do!"

"Call the police!" I yelled.

"Gene, he works with the police! You're lucky you haven't seen him really mad. Yet." Harry said. I shook my head and let my hair fall down and cover my face.

It couldn't be true.

Why didn't Niall ever tell me?

Because he knew I would react like this.

I knew I wouldn't tell anyone if it was my dad beating me.

NIALL'S POINT OF VIEW

"Just sign right here Mr. Horan, and you'll be all set to go." The man smiled at me and I wanted to rip it off his face. I clenched my hands, trying to control how much hatred I felt. I glanced up at my father and he smiled, but his eyes glared at me as if daring me to not sign. 

I grabbed the pen and angrily signed the bottom of the paper. 

"Great! There will be a taxi waiting for you tomorrow morning. You will be flying to New York with me straight away with Mr. Payne, if he chooses to come. I'm so happy you made this choice, Niall." The man smiled at me again before standing up, concluding out meeting. 

Ha. Like I had made this choice. Like I ever got to make any fucking choices.

"Good job, son, I knew you had it in you." He came up to me and clapped my shoulder, as if I had agreed to this. 

"Don't touch me." I spat. 

"Be careful now, Niall. You'll be grateful one day. One day, you'll see everything I did for you, made you stronger." He smiled and walked away. 

 ~

I opened the door to the fraternity house and walked inside. It was quiet. 

"Guys?" I narrowed my eyes at the group of boys sitting in the kitchen. "Is something wrong?"

Harry cleared his throat and I looked him in the eye.

"No. Of course not. How was the meeting?"

"Shit. I'm leaving tomorrow." I answered. I turned around and went to my room, slamming the door behind me. I heard Harry come in behind me. 

"We told Gene." He said.

"What!? Told her what!?" My heart pounded, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. 

"About your dad."

"What about my dad."

Harry didn't reply and I knew exactly what he was referring to.